Floor Squeaks - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 02-26-2019, 01:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 132

Floor squeaks

I had a house built about 8 months ago and i know the house has to settle and i will hear pops and squeaks but i have some floor squeaks(most of them are along a wall in my hallway) i would like to know the best and most effective way to take care of these before my warranty is over. My question is how are the floor squeaks fixed? I am thinking they are going to just want to shim the floor sheathing from the craw space. I am not a builder or carpenter by an means but using shims from underneath seems like it put push the floor sheathing up not fixing the problem. I would like to be prepared when the time comes around.
2Quiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019, 01:29 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 14,232

Re: Floor squeaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Quiker View Post
I had a house built about 8 months ago and i know the house has to settle and i will hear pops and squeaks but i have some floor squeaks(most of them are along a wall in my hallway) i would like to know the best and most effective way to take care of these before my warranty is over. My question is how are the floor squeaks fixed? I am thinking they are going to just want to shim the floor sheathing from the craw space. I am not a builder or carpenter by an means but using shims from underneath seems like it put push the floor sheathing up not fixing the problem. I would like to be prepared when the time comes around.
First thing you look for if you have access from below is nails or screws that just missed the joist and are left rubbing when you walk there.

Will you also find heat ducts in that area?
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 122

Hi,

Check the humidity in your home. If you are below 35%, chances are the squeaks are from the home being too dry. This will resolve itself in the spring/summer. I am experencing the same issue.

That being said, there is a possibility that you have a loose subfloor, which would be covered by your warranty. Best practice is to screw the subfloor into the joists. Is your basement ceilling finished? If not, you examine the subfloor and floor joists for movement while someone walks over the areas to determine whether this is the cause.
PatFlemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2019, 01:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
First thing you look for if you have access from below is nails or screws that just missed the joist and are left rubbing when you walk there.

Will you also find heat ducts in that area?

I haven't been down in that area but i am thinking i need to head down there and look to see if the nails missed the joist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatFlemming;
Hi,

Check the humidity in your home. If you are below 35%, chances are the squeaks are from the home being too dry. This will resolve itself in the spring/summer. I am experencing the same issue.

That being said, there is a possibility that you have a loose subfloor, which would be covered by your warranty. Best practice is to screw the subfloor into the joists. Is your basement ceilling finished? If not, you examine the subfloor and floor joists for movement while someone walks over the areas to determine whether this is the cause.

The areas that are most concerning is an area in the hall way, it seem as if someone ways over this are you can hear it pretty loud but if you turn around and walk over that same area you don't hear anything. It's as if when you walk over that area the floor is pushed down but then stays down for a while and if you walk over it say in about 15-20 min you can hear the loud squeak.

The humidity thing that you mention is interesting, so every winter you are going to have this issue?
Old 02-26-2019, 01:57 PM   #5
retired framer

What is the finish of the floor? Carpet, hardwood?

Single level house with trusses and not rafters for roof structure?
Old 02-26-2019, 02:11 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 122

Quote:
I haven't been down in that area but i am thinking i need to head down there and look to see if the nails missed the joist.

The areas that are most concerning is an area in the hall way, it seem as if someone ways over this are you can hear it pretty loud but if you turn around and walk over that same area you don't hear anything. It's as if when you walk over that area the floor is pushed down but then stays down for a while and if you walk over it say in about 15-20 min you can hear the loud squeak.

The humidity thing that you mention is interesting, so every winter you are going to have this issue?
if it is an isolated issue, meaning you only have one area that is squeaking, then chances are humidity is not the issue. Also, you don't have history on your side. You arent able to determine whether the squeaking goes away in the summer and reappears during winter. So, if it's isolated, you're probably dealing with a rubbing nail and/or loose subfloor. Is the ceilling below finished?
PatFlemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 02:59 PM   #7

Quote:
What is the finish of the floor? Carpet, hardwood?

Single level house with trusses and not rafters for roof structure?

Currently have carpet and single level house with trusses.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatFlemming View Post
if it is an isolated issue, meaning you only have one area that is squeaking, then chances are humidity is not the issue. Also, you don't have history on your side. You arent able to determine whether the squeaking goes away in the summer and reappears during winter. So, if it's isolated, you're probably dealing with a rubbing nail and/or loose subfloor. Is the ceilling below finished?

sorry, not sure what you mean by ceiling below finished?
Old 02-26-2019, 03:18 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 4,000

Is the ceiling of the area below the hallway finished or open? If this is the first floor, is there a basement beneath? If so, does the basement have a drywall ceiling or is it still unfinished?

The idea is whether you can get to the structure of the squeaking floor easily from below.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #10
retired framer

Quote:
Currently have carpet and single level house with trusses.
Have you had any cracks in drywall like between walls and ceiling anywhere in the house.?
Old 02-26-2019, 03:40 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
Is the ceiling of the area below the hallway finished or open? If this is the first floor, is there a basement beneath? If so, does the basement have a drywall ceiling or is it still unfinished?

The idea is whether you can get to the structure of the squeaking floor easily from below.

oh ok, it's one floor and i have a open crawl space and would be able to get floor joist.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Have you had any cracks in drywall like between walls and ceiling anywhere in the house.?

Nope no cracks anywhere, I've checked.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 02-26-2019, 04:08 PM   #13
retired framer

Quote:
Nope no cracks anywhere, I've checked.
On occasion we can have truss lift in the winter, and sometimes the wall will move with the trusses. This is something to be looked at when nothing else solves the problem. This can happen when they nail the trusses to the interior wall instead of using truss lift clips.
Attached Images

2Quiker (02-28-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 09:56 AM   #14

Quote:
On occasion we can have truss lift in the winter, and sometimes the wall will move with the trusses. This is something to be looked at when nothing else solves the problem. This can happen when they nail the trusses to the interior wall instead of using truss lift clips.

I will keep that in mind and if that is the problem is it as simple as install them with a nails?

What would be the best way or most effective if it is just the sheathing that has a lose nail?

Last edited by 2Quiker; 02-28-2019 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:08 AM   #15
retired framer

Quote:
I will keep that in mind.

What would be the best way or most effective if it is just the sheathing that has a lose nail?
A length of 2x2 that measures 1 1/2 x 1 1/2
pre drill holes both ways every 6"
apply thick floor glue on two sides place it beside the joist and screw it to the subfloor with 2" screws, then screw it to the joist with 2 1/2 inch screws.
http://www.lepage.ca/en/lepage-produ...-adhesive.html
Advertisement