Floor Joists Not Attached To Rim Joist - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

floor joists not attached to rim joist

Yay, what a surprise, now I'm definitely not crawling under my house. Who knows, maybe I'll knock my floor joists off their ends while trying to squirm.

Has anyone seen this before? It's a 103 year old house. I just noticed the floor joists aren't attached to the rim joist. How could this last for 103 years? Should I just leave it alone since it hasn't fallen over for a century, or start disturbing it and try to find a way to attach joist hangers or something to it?

That is after I pay someone to go down there and clean it out and seal it off >_> No way am I going down there on my own, have to squirm and there's hidden spiders everywhere

Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I can't really see much from the pics
On my joists I nailed from the rim into the joists
Are you saying you can see the area between the joist & rim joist & there aren't any nails ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

I would bet that you can't see the nails because it was nailed from the outside. The nail heads are hidden under the siding. After 100 years, I doubt they're going to fall off. Besides, the bottom plate for the walls are nailed into both the floor joist and the rim joist. Nothing can move, even if the sub-flooring doesn't reach the outside. Spiders are an added accessory. Bug spray and a shop vac removes them.

Last edited by Maintenance 6; 01-04-2010 at 06:36 AM.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,348

It's been like that for 103 years. There's nothing your going to do to improve the structural integrity.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
I would bet that you can't see the nails because it was nailed from the outside. The nail heads are hidden under the siding. After 100 years, I doubt they're going to fall off. Besides, the bottom plate for the walls are nailed into both the floor joist and the rim joist. Nothing can move, even if the sub-flooring doesn't reach the outside. Spiders are an added accessory. Bug spray and a shop vac removes them.
I suppose the first pic shows the best (the joist is casting a shadow on the rimjoist). The other pics aren't noticeable due to the flash. When I shine a flashlight on the joists, they cast a shadow back onto the rim joist, and there is clearly a space there. That's what I'm worried about, and it looked like to me taht it was just subflooring (the original hardwood floor) that was on top of the end of the joist, which is why I'm concerned. It actually looks like the rim joist is more shallow than the floor joist.
Tonglebeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:02 PM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

On looking at the pictures once again, it looks like the joists were notched out over the ring joist. That was pretty common on balloon frame construction. The tongue of the joist that runs over top of the ring joist probably has a spike through it. Additionally the bottom plate of the wall is nailed down through. Seriously, stop worrying, it isn't going anywhere. This type of construction will benefit greatly by having these cavities sealed up to prevent air infiltration into the wall cavities and living spaces.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement