Floor Joist Sagging... - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jlhaslip
  • 1 Post By Nealtw

Old 05-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Unhappy

Floor joist sagging...

Hey guys, been reading the forums here for a while, figured it's time to join and ask some advice.

Ran into a potential issue when in the basement... I noticed there are a few joists in one area that are sagging a bit. Well, technically past the deflection limit at this point, 1" sag on the worst one.

Home is built in 1955, single floor, basic simple ranch (not sure the technical style). 14foot 2x10 joists, supported in the middle of the home with (3) 2x8s.
There are 3 joists that are sagging, one at 1" in the middle and the joists at each side of this one at 3/4". Directly above it, there is a partition wall for a bedroom that looks to be added at one point in the homes history. Wall is covered in heavy plaster which may have added to the deformation.

Do I have any options to remove the sag, besides jacking it up and sistering for the full length ? I read about blocking and partial sistering with 3/4 plywood, but not sure if that is worth the time or even helps.

Thanks
Jason

ItsBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2018, 11:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Floor joist sagging...

Jacking and sistering sounds like a good idea to me .
Mike Milam likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 488

Jacking can end up with cracked plaster upstairs. Not sure if little jacking over time will help. You can try, because following option is just as much bother. I think all 3 joists should be reinforced with extra joists but you will have to remove the wires. Sister joists don't have to be foundation/beam to another foundation. As long as possible but, as far as I know, sister joists can be 80% or so of the existing. Use bolts.
Wires can be cut in the middle. Make sure it's off at the breakers. After breaker is off, confirm with voltage tester/noncontact tester. If you can find the terminal connection in the bsmt, you're lucky. Cut the wires and reconnect in the accessible electrical box. If you don't have enough slack, you have to use 2 boxes. These boxes must be open through the ceiling cover and closed with blank box covers. As far as I know, they can't be buried even under the tile drop ceilings.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2018, 08:34 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,228

Just want to make sure I'm seeing this right.
Is that a partition wall that does not even make full contact with the joist, with just metal studs?
A real stud wall with a double top plate could have helped keep the joist from sagging.
10X joist with just 2 X 8 beam, yeks, how are the joist attached the beam?
Old 05-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Just want to make sure I'm seeing this right.
Is that a partition wall that does not even make full contact with the joist, with just metal studs?
A real stud wall with a double top plate could have helped keep the joist from sagging.
10X joist with just 2 X 8 beam, yeks, how are the joist attached the beam?
Assume the partition wall you are mentioning is the one in the photo in the back? Thats just for the laundry room and the photo is a bit of an illusion. The metal studs meet the wood beam. The photo make it looks like its connected to the soffit I built around the wires, its not

As for the joist, they sit on top of the triple 2x8 beam and are toe-nailed....

I did order a couple 2x10x14 LVL joists today. I'm sure they are overkill for this purpose... but, i figured why not lol. I also started re-routing wires. Next up.... Need to remove the gas pipe so I can swing the new joists in (They are currently blocking the way, I think). Ill post some new pics as I work through this mess.
Old 05-27-2018, 08:58 PM   #6

Ok... so slight problem. I'm having trouble getting the old joist jacked up to match the sister. Any ideas? All I hear is creaking as it goes up, afraid the joists are going to snap.

Old 05-27-2018, 11:01 PM   #7
retired framer

Rewards Points: 4,406

It took some time to sag and may have been crowned the wrong way when installed
Your post should have a shim below the post you are jacking to allow for the crush.
You may only be able to lift it 1/8" per day sometimes less. It will go eventually.
stadry likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement