Floor Joist Replacement For Load Bearing Wall - Balloon Construction - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2015, 02:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Floor Joist Replacement for Load Bearing Wall - Balloon Construction

I am a DIYer but I need help with replacing the bearing joists in the basement for my 2 story+attic 1880s-ish home. Here are my questions:

1) If the floor joists are sagging, should one jack up the joists first before installing joist hangers? These are notched joists sitting on sill and foundation.

2) Should I jack up joists prior to installing 2 solid blocks 6' off center between joists which span 16' (there are none now and floor sags)?

3) And, is it ok to install blocks prior to repairing the load bearing joists? The house is jiggling when people walk heavily which I can't get them to stop doing.

4) And lastly, how do I find someone on the Eastern Shore of Delaware/Maryland to do the repair of the bearing wall as described below, or in a better manner.

a) I have deduced from researching this issue, that I will need to construct at least one temporary wall, preferable 2, on either side of this bearing wall while replacing these joists.

-----the overview of my housing issue-------

I have a basement in the balloon constructed home, era about 1880s, with 16' span floor joists one of which is load bearing (2 story w attic) at basement stairway consisting of 2 sistered joists (true 2.75"x 8.5") which are rotted/termite damaged at end (about 3') sitting on the foundation & sill. I have installed temporary supports at about 4' and 8' with 4'x6' cross beams with 4"x4"s and floor jack(s) which spans 5 and 6 floor joists.

I would like to have the bearing wall joists replaced and have purchased 2x10x10s with intention of sistering 4 boards and joining at center at 8' and supported with a permanent floor jack (Big Moe).

----------------

I am looking for someone in the Eastern Shore of Delaware to perform this with my assistance as helper/gofer/grunt worker.

Can anyone give me an idea of a fair price for this if I get all supplies and get things setup?

Can anyone recommend a reputable person for this job?

thanks for any assistance.
EliseA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2015, 09:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 32

If the joists are sagging towards the sill it may be a foundation issue. Are the second story joists sagging as well? If so, I would look into jacking the whole house and shimming where it sits on the foundation. If you have a built up sill to install joist hangers on, they yes you could jack it up and install the hangers. You may not have this option on a second story balloon frame, where the joists are usually notched and resting on a ledger board. There would be nothing to attach the joist hangers.

I have a balloon framed two story house. The previous owner gutted the house down to the studs. Instead of jacking the house to correct the settling and sloped floors (which would have been the best time to do it), they ended up replacing all the joists and leveling the first floor. There has been settling since the remodel which I have corrected by jacking and adding additional piers, but I can't jack to fully correct the upstairs without messing up the first level floors. So my only option to correct the second story is shimming the joists and putting a new sub floor down.
jb8578 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
balloon frame , balloon framing , basement , bearing wall , joists