Floating Vanity Installation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2018, 10:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 207

Floating vanity installation

Hello – I posted this on the bathroom/kitchen remodel forum but didn't get much traffic. I apologize if I'm violating forum etiquette by re-posting here.

“Hi all - I'm installing a suspended, on the wall vanity in our master bathroom. The vanity will be mounted 22" high from the floor and is 48" x 21.5" and 22" tall. There will be a 1" thick marble counter top with under mount sink. I put 2x8 blocking between the studs where the vanity will mount. I'll install on the sheet rock wall and attach through sheet rock in to framing/blocking. My question - how would you securely mount the vanity? I don't feel comfortable using the wimpy screws provided. Maybe 6 or more lag bolts with washers, four across the top and a few 3/4 down from the top? If lag bolts with good sized washers is the way to go, any suggestions on length/size of lags? I'm also thinking of mounting a 2' length of angle iron to the wall and resting the vanity on that with lags on top. I know this is done all the time and I want to make sure I do it right because there will be a lot of weight hanging on the wall. Would appreciate suggestions from folks who have done this type of vanity installation. Thanks”
Attached Thumbnails
Floating vanity installation-vanity.jpg  
Jack E is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 10:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,522

Re: Floating vanity installation

Unless the vanity is stronger than it appears it will be in shambles shortly. A dozen wimpy #14 screws in the studs is stronger than the wimpy vanity, I'll guarantee that.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 10:34 PM   #3

The back of the vanity looks to be 5/8" plywood, not sure of the type/quality. The vanity was sold as a float mount unit so I assume it's constructed to be mounted as such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 10:51 PM   #4

Update - I re-read the spec sheet and the vanity counter top is an "Acrylic-Resin integrated sink." Kind of looks like marble but probably not as heavy marble.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:53 PM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 5,818

Was the box build to be hung and what instruction did it come with.
Every once a while we see someone sitting on a counter or even just hand down leaning on it, the weight of the box the countertop and the sink. Every ounce will want to be pulling screws or lags out of the wall. We can say maybe that total would 250 pounds, somewhere out to 2 ft from the wall so that would be 500 ft lbs of torque pulling the screws out. I would just double that for safety. So 1000 pounds.

This a good sample of what screws do.

I think I would pick up some Simpson flat straps fill every hole with 3" deck screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Floating vanity installation-flat-straps.jpg  
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 11:08 PM   #6

The screws probably aren't going to pull out of the wall but the vanity will pull apart from the plywood back unless there is some construction we can't see.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:56 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,010

Bigger or smaller but two like this under it

Last edited by ron45; 10-17-2018 at 01:59 AM.
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:26 AM   #8
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,524

Like Senior has mentioned, the box will fall apart before screws break.

A dozen 3" #10's with fender washers will hold it up.
Old 10-17-2018, 07:20 AM   #9

Thanks for replies/ideas. The vanity didn't come with any installation instructions. I found some basic instructions from the manufacturer online; it called for using some type J hook bracket on the wall and then hanging the cabinet on the hooks. The vanity came with 6, 3" screws with anchors - didn't seem adequate. I agree, if a Simpson or Fender washer are not used the vanity plywood would tear through the screws. I like the idea of using Fender washers/Simpson bracket in addition to a 2 L bracket underneath for added support. I've seen L bracket supports made for wall mount vanities but they want 150.00 - 175.00 for them; I'm thinking Simpson might make something that would work even if I have to drill a few holes.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:32 AM   #10

Unless I'm not seeing what the needs are, I would think a $4.00 shelf bracket screwed to each stud under the vanity for it to set on and a few screws through the ply into studs might work.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:18 AM   #11
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Rewards Points: 1,524

Shoot a half dozen screws thru it, take out the blocks from underneath, and give it a wee stress test by pushing down on the front of it.

Don't overthink it.
Jack E (10-17-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement