Floating Shelves - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2018, 11:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Floating Shelves

Hi All!

I'm new and a bit of a beginner when it comes to diy projects like this one. My father is the woodworker, and he and I are looking to build some floating shelves in my kitchen utilizing the following method:

Essentially, driving 5/8" threaded rods into studs and mounting 2x12s onto the rods. In the blog tutorial I'm following on house updated . com she just does a couple of shelves from a couple of studs. The plans for my kitchen are a bit more aggressive. There would be three to four levels per stud and it would wrap around the wall of the kitchen. I can get into more detail if necessary. We had planned on using brackets before finding the tutorial. That being said my query is:

My father is concerned about removing that much material from each stud, whether that would ill-effect the structural integrity of the studs too much, and he asked me to ask around. Not knowing any professional wood workers personally, I figured a forum would be a great place to start. I appreciate any input!

Cheers,
Chad
chaddesch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #2

Re: Floating Shelves

1) Nope..... you will not be affecting the structural integrity of the studs in any meaningful way.
Have at it. Drill a stack of 10 shelves in there.

2) 2x12 SPF will be prone to cupping and twisting.
Be aware that these will likely not end up laser straight after install.
If you insist on 2x12 pine.....choose wisely.

3) Use a high quality primer if you are painting them (which I assume you are), if not the knots will bleed through in time.

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BlueRidgeGreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 04:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 8,506

I am not a structural engineer, but I would not be worried about the studs. There are probably already a bunch of holes in them for wires and pipes. (And hopefully nail plates in front of them).

However I would be concerned about how level and in-line I could drill all those holes. If some holes end up out of whack, maybe re-drill the hole a little bigger and put some PL Premium in it --- with temporary brackets on the shelf to hold it straight until the PL cures.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,628

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post

However I would be concerned about how level and in-line I could drill all those holes.
Exactly- 1 shelf will look like a snake. 2 shelves will look like 2 snakes and multiple shelves will appear as a barrel of snakes.That is unless you have much better and expensive drilling/boring equipment than myself and most DIY'ers have.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Exactly- 1 shelf will look like a snake. 2 shelves will look like 2 snakes and multiple shelves will appear as a barrel of snakes.That is unless you have much better and expensive drilling/boring equipment than myself and most DIY'ers have.

As long as he drills the holes with their horizontal line starting marks being perfectly level, that shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

Even if he drills each on a slight angle (in any random direction), as long as he has kept the hole clean, and the bore is slightly tighter than the rod......
He will be able to use a lump hammer and a torpedo level and tap them into line.

The main thing is to attempt to map any deficiencies before drilling the shelves, and try to account for them during that boring process.

Also, the stiffness of the wood will necessarily “cancel out” a little skew over 3 or 4 rods, and bring them into line....a little.

Aim for the bullseye though.
BlueRidgeGreen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:41 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,572

i wanna see a pic when they've been up a year :-) if it were me, i'd buy a shelf kit or 10
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2x12 , floating_shelves , studs , threaded_rods