Floating Platform For Gazebo - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

floating platform for gazebo

My mother in law was wondering if i could build a platform for a gazebo in her back yard. I figured a 12X12 square made with cedar would do the trick.I would like to use a pier foundation for the corners but she doesnt want it to permanent. So for making a stable foundation what should i do. just tamp the ground?
thefatpigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Where are you located ?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 07:37 PM   #3

edmonton alberta canada.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 470

You don’t want to use Cedar for the deck framing, ok for the decking.

Typically gazebos aren’t square. There are lots of gazebo designs to look at in books and online. Mother-in-law should pick out something, at least close to what she wants in her yard and then you can decide how to build (the deck for) it.

Will you be building the gazebo?

If yes, you need to know what the end result will be before you know were to start.

If no, and someone else will build the gazebo they would (I know I would) want to do it from the ground up.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 PM   #5

Ya. pt wood for the framing, cedar planks for the deck. She is just going to buy a structure. more like a canopy. She wants the hard surface to put it on. She wants it non permanent but so that it is stable. I figured i would build the framing then pound stakes into the ground to stop it from shifting. What i want to know is how to prepare the base. the ground is fairly uneven so ill have to dig it up. once its dug up can i just tamp the soil level and it will be stable?
Old 04-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #6
Newbie Bill

Rewards Points: 534

I would dig out the soil that you need to obtain a level area. You should however, keep drainage in mind. You don't want the water to pool under the gazebo. It all depends on the location. So you may have to excavate so that there is a slight slope to the ground.

I wouldn't worry about ground stability unless this is a huge gazebo.

Then I would lay down landscape fabric and top with gravel. This is where you can compensate for the slope you left in the ground. Then I would build the frame from PT lumber and have that sit on the gravel. Make sure the frame is level and then build the gazebo on that.

I don't think Edmonton has a permit requirement for a gazebo, but I would check out the City's website just in case.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement