Floating-deck Posts - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

deck supports

I am building a floating deck roughly 14' x 16' just above ground level. I have gotten my permit, drew up plans and am finally ready to order material. But one piece of the puzzle I am struggling over is whether it's okay that some posts bolt to framing while others allow framing to rest atop using metal strapping? The code office hasn't given me much direction and so far all the material I've read on deck building bearly goes into grade level decks-- a wooden patio as the permitting office called it.

Tell me through your experiences what you've done. By the way, I'm in the south so no worries of frost heave. Just hurricanes hence the strapping I plan to use. Posts will be set in 12-18" concrete.

Last edited by Herman007; 07-13-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Herman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 07:23 AM   #2

Either of the two should be fine. In my deck building years the method of attaching sub framing to post was determined by the amount of height in the deck. The last deck I build (my personal deck) I attached support beams to the side of posts because we needed the deck at almost ground level. One advantage to attching support to the side of posts is that you dont have to worry about post height while you set them. Once set attach your support and then you can go back and cut the post to the proper height.
Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'd opt against setting the deck's structure on top of the posts unless a Simpson or USP post-to-rim connector is used. Straps alone seems amateurish. If nothing else, why not notch the posts to the rim so there is a means of making a solid bolted connection...That'll be a lot more rigid anyway.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

I prefer to notch the deck posts too

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #5

Thanks for your replies. As I began typing this, I figured something out. I was over-thinking the position of these posts and was originally concerned about placing a post under a joist. But the joists, center beam, and rims are at the same level, will all be held together with hangers and straps so either/any location carries the same strength.

I have already designed if not bolting to a post to use a post to rim connector but I appreciate 'thekctermite' giving me the pointer. I know I said strap but was going to use both-- more overkill.

I welcome any other criticisms/comment as this is my largest DIY project at home. I've labored many hours over the design and now I just need to dig in and learn from the mistakes!
Herman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:16 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

Think about it this way, if your beams are attached to the outside of the post and attached with carriage bolts, the only thing supporting the weight of your deck is those bolts.

If the beam is sitting on the posts, then the posts are supporting the weight.
DecksEtc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement