First Time Framing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By deepsweech
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 01-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 52
Default

First time framing


Hi,
I'm new and first time framing. I'm stick framing, bottom then top plates first then studs after, all walls are non-load bearing. Questions:

1. Should both top and bottom plates be always on the same length? Meaning should they always align and not overlap the next opposite bottom(if top) or top(if bottom) plates? I had a part where 1 top plate was long and the last stud had to be nailed to the next bottom plate.

2. Should I always put a stud on then end(also on the first just beside it) of the top plate even if this is a non load bearing wall?

3. I have a long wall with a break (water meter/pipes) just 5 ft from the start of the wall, after the break, the wall goes straight to the other end. I'm planning to enclose that part in a closet. Is it ok if the 16' oc spacing breaks after the closet space?
illustration:
(a)- 16 - 16 - 16(b) - | closet | -16(c) - 16 - 16 - 16 .... (d)
From b to c, did not meet the 16 oc spacing.

Thanks.
deepsweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 28,846
Rewards Points: 1,350
Default

Re: First time framing


Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsweech View Post
Hi,
I'm new and first time framing. I'm stick framing, bottom then top plates first then studs after, all walls are non-load bearing. Questions:

1. Should both top and bottom plates be always on the same length? Meaning should they always align and not overlap the next opposite bottom(if top) or top(if bottom) plates? I had a part where 1 top plate was long and the last stud had to be nailed to the next bottom plate.

2. Should I always put a stud on then end(also on the first just beside it) of the top plate even if this is a non load bearing wall?

3. I have a long wall with a break (water meter/pipes) just 5 ft from the start of the wall, after the break, the wall goes straight to the other end. I'm planning to enclose that part in a closet. Is it ok if the 16' oc spacing breaks after the closet space?
illustration:
(a)- 16 - 16 - 16(b) - | closet | -16(c) - 16 - 16 - 16 .... (d)
From b to c, did not meet the 16 oc spacing.

Thanks.
Are you doing basement, exterior wall inside basement or what?
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 52
Default

Re: First time framing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Are you doing basement, exterior wall inside basement or what?
Sorry for missing some info. I'm doing my basement. Poured concrete, all 4 walls. I already covered all sides with 2'' xps foam and now started framing the exterior wall inside.
deepsweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 28,846
Rewards Points: 1,350
Default

Re: First time framing


Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsweech View Post
Sorry for missing some info. I'm doing my basement. Poured concrete, all 4 walls. I already covered all sides with 2'' xps foam and now started framing the exterior wall inside.
Did you fire stop the top of the insulation against the wall?
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 52
Default

Re: First time framing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Did you fire stop the top of the insulation against the wall?
I will put firestops against the XPS foam, not the concrete wall. Town said it is ok.
deepsweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 28,846
Rewards Points: 1,350
Default

Re: First time framing


We work of the sill plate above the concrete and nail up the top plates all the way around the basement. Then level down in the corners both ways and snap lines on the floor and then put in put in the bottom sill.
As you are only worried about drywall you start the layout in the inside corner and side One at the corner and from the corner you mark 15 1/4, 31 1/4, 47 1/4 and so one.
That gives you 16 inches from the corner and 16 OC for the rest.
Yes you can just leave a chunk out for a pipe.
Do the layout on the lower plate and save confusion get on a ladder and lay out the top plate, starting in the same place using the same method. Don't worry about the joins in the plates.
If you are doing 2 top plates you can over lap the corners but it is not important.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #7
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 28,846
Rewards Points: 1,350
Default

Re: First time framing


Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsweech View Post
I will put firestops against the XPS foam, not the concrete wall. Town said it is ok.
Fire stop goes to the sill above the foundation wall, good luck getting things square by guess.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 52
Default

Re: First time framing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
We work of the sill plate above the concrete and nail up the top plates all the way around the basement. Then level down in the corners both ways and snap lines on the floor and then put in put in the bottom sill.
As you are only worried about drywall you start the layout in the inside corner and side One at the corner and from the corner you mark 15 1/4, 31 1/4, 47 1/4 and so one.
That gives you 16 inches from the corner and 16 OC for the rest.
Yes you can just leave a chunk out for a pipe.
Do the layout on the lower plate and save confusion get on a ladder and lay out the top plate, starting in the same place using the same method. Don't worry about the joins in the plates.
If you are doing 2 top plates you can over lap the corners but it is not important.
Yup this is what I did. I'm just worried about joining the top plates.

For question 3. the starting stud after the closet is not exactly 16oc from the start
Attached Thumbnails
First time framing-screen-shot-2019-01-15-4.02.34-pm.png  
deepsweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 28
Rewards Points: 52
Default

Re: First time framing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Fire stop goes to the sill above the foundation wall, good luck getting things square by guess.
Squared the walls using a laser level/square and chalked the wall lines. Fastened the bottom plates to follow the chalked line, for the top plates, just followed the leveled bottom plates.
Nealtw likes this.
deepsweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 04:20 PM   #10
retired framer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Fraser Valley BC Canada
Posts: 28,846
Rewards Points: 1,350
Default

Re: First time framing


Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsweech View Post
Yup this is what I did. I'm just worried about joining the top plates.

For question 3. the starting stud after the closet is not exactly 16oc from the start
If the top plates don't land on a joist, put a block above the joint so they don't warp.
Just carry on with e layout from the corners so the drywall guy can find it.
Then go back and put 2 studs on each side of an opening like windows and doors. If that next stud is really close you can leave it out, you are good up to 22 1/2" between studs Or if a pipe or something is at a stud just move that one over a little.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Tags
framing non load bearing


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 fluorescent fixes failed at same time? Hiro Electrical 11 05-31-2018 08:08 PM
Dry/recoat time vs cure time scyarch Painting 3 05-11-2017 03:06 AM
Mini-project: Rebuilt my toilet. First time doing it. r0ckstarr Project Showcase 6 05-13-2014 03:59 PM
Need Framing Help-Freestanding structure HandyFrank Building & Construction 8 11-08-2013 12:42 PM
Double Framing on old Garage? bofusmosby Building & Construction 6 04-12-2010 10:08 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts