First Time Framing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By deepsweech

Old 01-15-2019, 03:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 52

First time framing

Hi,
I'm new and first time framing. I'm stick framing, bottom then top plates first then studs after, all walls are non-load bearing. Questions:

1. Should both top and bottom plates be always on the same length? Meaning should they always align and not overlap the next opposite bottom(if top) or top(if bottom) plates? I had a part where 1 top plate was long and the last stud had to be nailed to the next bottom plate.

2. Should I always put a stud on then end(also on the first just beside it) of the top plate even if this is a non load bearing wall?

3. I have a long wall with a break (water meter/pipes) just 5 ft from the start of the wall, after the break, the wall goes straight to the other end. I'm planning to enclose that part in a closet. Is it ok if the 16' oc spacing breaks after the closet space?
illustration:
(a)- 16 - 16 - 16(b) - | closet | -16(c) - 16 - 16 - 16 .... (d)
From b to c, did not meet the 16 oc spacing.

Thanks.
deepsweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 1,350

Re: First time framing

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsweech View Post
Hi,
I'm new and first time framing. I'm stick framing, bottom then top plates first then studs after, all walls are non-load bearing. Questions:

1. Should both top and bottom plates be always on the same length? Meaning should they always align and not overlap the next opposite bottom(if top) or top(if bottom) plates? I had a part where 1 top plate was long and the last stud had to be nailed to the next bottom plate.

2. Should I always put a stud on then end(also on the first just beside it) of the top plate even if this is a non load bearing wall?

3. I have a long wall with a break (water meter/pipes) just 5 ft from the start of the wall, after the break, the wall goes straight to the other end. I'm planning to enclose that part in a closet. Is it ok if the 16' oc spacing breaks after the closet space?
illustration:
(a)- 16 - 16 - 16(b) - | closet | -16(c) - 16 - 16 - 16 .... (d)
From b to c, did not meet the 16 oc spacing.

Thanks.
Are you doing basement, exterior wall inside basement or what?
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 03:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Are you doing basement, exterior wall inside basement or what?
Sorry for missing some info. I'm doing my basement. Poured concrete, all 4 walls. I already covered all sides with 2'' xps foam and now started framing the exterior wall inside.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
retired framer

Quote:
Sorry for missing some info. I'm doing my basement. Poured concrete, all 4 walls. I already covered all sides with 2'' xps foam and now started framing the exterior wall inside.
Did you fire stop the top of the insulation against the wall?
Old 01-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Did you fire stop the top of the insulation against the wall?
I will put firestops against the XPS foam, not the concrete wall. Town said it is ok.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:47 PM   #6
retired framer

We work of the sill plate above the concrete and nail up the top plates all the way around the basement. Then level down in the corners both ways and snap lines on the floor and then put in put in the bottom sill.
As you are only worried about drywall you start the layout in the inside corner and side One at the corner and from the corner you mark 15 1/4, 31 1/4, 47 1/4 and so one.
That gives you 16 inches from the corner and 16 OC for the rest.
Yes you can just leave a chunk out for a pipe.
Do the layout on the lower plate and save confusion get on a ladder and lay out the top plate, starting in the same place using the same method. Don't worry about the joins in the plates.
If you are doing 2 top plates you can over lap the corners but it is not important.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:49 PM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
I will put firestops against the XPS foam, not the concrete wall. Town said it is ok.
Fire stop goes to the sill above the foundation wall, good luck getting things square by guess.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:04 PM   #8

Quote:
We work of the sill plate above the concrete and nail up the top plates all the way around the basement. Then level down in the corners both ways and snap lines on the floor and then put in put in the bottom sill.
As you are only worried about drywall you start the layout in the inside corner and side One at the corner and from the corner you mark 15 1/4, 31 1/4, 47 1/4 and so one.
That gives you 16 inches from the corner and 16 OC for the rest.
Yes you can just leave a chunk out for a pipe.
Do the layout on the lower plate and save confusion get on a ladder and lay out the top plate, starting in the same place using the same method. Don't worry about the joins in the plates.
If you are doing 2 top plates you can over lap the corners but it is not important.
Yup this is what I did. I'm just worried about joining the top plates.

For question 3. the starting stud after the closet is not exactly 16oc from the start
Attached Thumbnails
First time framing-screen-shot-2019-01-15-4.02.34-pm.png  
Old 01-15-2019, 04:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Fire stop goes to the sill above the foundation wall, good luck getting things square by guess.
Squared the walls using a laser level/square and chalked the wall lines. Fastened the bottom plates to follow the chalked line, for the top plates, just followed the leveled bottom plates.
Nealtw likes this.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:20 PM   #10
retired framer

Quote:
Yup this is what I did. I'm just worried about joining the top plates.

For question 3. the starting stud after the closet is not exactly 16oc from the start
If the top plates don't land on a joist, put a block above the joint so they don't warp.
Just carry on with e layout from the corners so the drywall guy can find it.
Then go back and put 2 studs on each side of an opening like windows and doors. If that next stud is really close you can leave it out, you are good up to 22 1/2" between studs Or if a pipe or something is at a stud just move that one over a little.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
framing non load bearing