Fireplace Doors On Rough-brick Fireplace? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Fireplace doors on rough-brick fireplace?

First off, I just bought my first house after a decade of renting. I'm a DIY guy so I expect to be around here fairly often.

Anyhoo, the house has a wood-burning masonry fireplace and I'd like to install these doors. The problem is the brick is "rough cut" and does not provide a flat mounting surface. It's not as jagged and uneven as stone, so I'm hoping I can still use this "overlap" style door and not need to get a custom-fit "interior" style set.

I figure I can install these as normal, but then use a high-head caulk to seal the area between the door and the brick. Can anyone confirm this will or won't work?

Thanks!
theophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 07:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

The door comes with fiberglass insulation that fits in channels in the sides and top that will provide a seal between the door and door and the brick.

If you want to know more about installing this door then RTFM:

http://www.ghpgroupinc.com/fireplace...Manual2007.pdf
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2011, 08:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for the reply. I think my question may have been unclear. I've read the manual and am aware of the insulation. What I'm concerned about is the fact that the brick is not flat and so the outer edges of the frame will not sit flush against the brick. I know stone fireplaces can't use this kind of door because if the lack of a flat mounting surface. My question is just how flat does it have to be?
theophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement