Finishing A Basement - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 37

Finishing a basement

I'm planning on finishing my basement in my MA home to add a mudroom / laundry room and an office. I've drafted up plans but I wanted to ask if anyone saw any red flags that are going to cause permitting / inspection issues. I'm particularly curious if I can have the Utility Room only have a single doorway into it. Some other notes:

* The oil tank is being moved (note the old and new locations). It is required to be 5' from the furnace, which it exceeds.
* The electrical panel is getting a closet built around it. From what I understand, code states that the dimensions must be 36x36" minimum.

Is there anything that's just flat out wrong that I'm trying to do? I want to do this by the books with permits / inspections, etc. Thanks!

Here's a link to the plans (first page is Before, second page is After):
https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...43&app=WordPdf
SoxFan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 05:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,118

Does not matter what anyone on any website thinks what will or will not pass.
Huge difference what will fly depending on location and what the local inspector has to say.
Really need to take the plans to zoning and the building dept. and get written approval
I did some jobs long ago in Billerica MA. And the inspector we got stuck with was a total butt head.
Building off of approved plans, foundations done, slabs pored, call for an inspection and now he wants the footings for the columns every 8' not 12' like in the plans.
We where approved to have 24" deep footings at the door openings, now he want's them 4' deep.
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015, 08:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 260

Your staircase needs a landing. Based on your post, I am assuming a walk-out basement, but some things such as furniture will not turn in the staircase to the door. If there is a girder, you need specific headroom.

It's good to have some kind of roof outside the mudroom. Based on possible zoning and set-back, inspection office may say something about such a roof. I put a awning over it, ignored what the building office said, and inspector(s) never said anything. It is possible that I never put in a written application for the awning.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2015, 10:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Does not matter what anyone on any website thinks what will or will not pass.
Huge difference what will fly depending on location and what the local inspector has to say.
Really need to take the plans to zoning and the building dept. and get written approval
I did some jobs long ago in Billerica MA. And the inspector we got stuck with was a total butt head.
Building off of approved plans, foundations done, slabs pored, call for an inspection and now he wants the footings for the columns every 8' not 12' like in the plans.
We where approved to have 24" deep footings at the door openings, now he want's them 4' deep.
I understand completely, I fully intend to bring this to my local inspector, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything that was 100% not going to fly. Thanks!
Old 03-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
Your staircase needs a landing. Based on your post, I am assuming a walk-out basement, but some things such as furniture will not turn in the staircase to the door. If there is a girder, you need specific headroom.

It's good to have some kind of roof outside the mudroom. Based on possible zoning and set-back, inspection office may say something about such a roof. I put a awning over it, ignored what the building office said, and inspector(s) never said anything. It is possible that I never put in a written application for the awning.
I think the drawing may be confusing. The door in the middle of the room that's off of the staircase is actually a closet door for a closet that's under the stairs, this isn't the doorway to the stairs. The door at the top of the stairs opens away from the stairs, so I was under the impression that a landing is not required.

Yes you're right, this is a walk-out basement, the door in the bottom left goes out to the driveway, the one in the top left goes into the garage. There's already a small roof above the door doing out to the driveway.

Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 121

Suggestion, don't call the space your putting the electrical panel in a closet, call it an equipment room or something similar.
jrepp44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrepp44 View Post
Suggestion, don't call the space your putting the electrical panel in a closet, call it an equipment room or something similar.
Thanks for the advice. Just curious, how come? I'm assuming it's because you can't put anything in there that would block the panel? I'm not planning on listing this office as a bedroom when it comes time to sell for several reasons. Primarily because of the lack of a second egress (The window pictured is 1' x 2.5').
Old 03-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 121

It's just a minor matter of wording. You know you are not going to use it as a "Closet" but why raise any possible red flags. Your Inspector may question the intended use of the area.

E3305.4 Location of clear spaces. Required working space shall not be designated for storage. Panelboards and overcurrent devices shall not be located in clothes closets or bathrooms.
jrepp44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement