Felt Over Old Foam Insulation - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2009, 01:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

felt over old foam insulation

I am going to reside my house with Hardiplank. House was built 1986 with rigid foam sheathing, foil faced on both sides, one side says Thermal in blue letters. Cedar lap siding will be coming off. There is a vapor barrier over the insulation. Should I replace this vapor barrier since it is now full of holes? should I put 15# felt on instead, then the Hardiplank. Last, how can I do one wall at a time, but over lap the corners?
mike1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 06:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

You don't say where you are located. In some climates, that foamboard can cause problems, since it creates a moisture barrier on the outside of the house. It can trap moisture between the walls. Check local code or builders. As for an underlayment, I would use housewrap, covers a bigger area, lets moisture pass out, not in, better at that than felt.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2009, 06:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I am in Denver. Our code specifies a barrier, but does not clarify what to use over the rigid foam insulation. From everything I have read, felt is better for not trapping water behind it.
mike1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement