False Dormers - Building & Construction - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 02:36 PM   #16
AHH, SPANS!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Durham NC
Posts: 1,751
Rewards Points: 1,166
Default

Re: False Dormers


is that one long singular roof plane or is there an intersect point 3/4 way up where the upper roof angle increases indicating two roof planes? looks like a single with a hip roof, partial A on the sides. Depending on roof design you could pull the gutter and fascia and slide the doubles in or go thorough a window if there is one on the partial A wall..
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-11-2016, 09:29 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,343
Rewards Points: 818
Default

Re: False Dormers


Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
is that one long singular roof plane or is there an intersect point 3/4 way up where the upper roof angle increases indicating two roof planes? looks like a single with a hip roof, partial A on the sides. Depending on roof design you could pull the gutter and fascia and slide the doubles in or go thorough a window if there is one on the partial A wall..
It's two roof planes. The one that is pitched 12/12 at the top is from the old/original roof. When the addition was added below, they used trusses and placed them on top of the existing roof, which is why the roof transitions to 6/12 or so.

Does the dormer look okay in terms of size and is the weight a concern or not really?
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-11-2016, 10:15 AM   #18
Member
 
craig11152's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ann Arbor MI
Posts: 1,991
Rewards Points: 1,220
Default

Re: False Dormers


aesthetics aside to me that's just one more thing that can go wrong.
__________________
Don't look at me. I didn't vote for either one of them.
craig11152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 248
Rewards Points: 267
Default

Re: False Dormers


you are way overthinking this. all you are doing is putting a triangle on the roof. I totally agree with the previous post it makes a plain square roof look so much better. I had it done to my add-a-level and it gives so much more "dimension" to the roof it makes the look of the house look classier and bigger.

Here is my advice though.. have the false dormer be set back a bit (like it is in the pictures posted) so that your GUTTER can still run continuous from one side of the house to the other.

another house in the neighborhood had two false dormers above windows but they had the dormer flush with tip of the roof so they couldn't run the gutter continuous across.. now he had FOUR ugly downspouts on the front of his house.
windowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to windowguy For This Useful Post:
cibula11 (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 12:38 PM   #20
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,343
Rewards Points: 818
Default

Re: False Dormers


Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
aesthetics aside to me that's just one more thing that can go wrong.
I'm unsure what you mean. Are you suggesting it's not a good option? If so, could you explain why?

Last edited by cibula11; 04-11-2016 at 12:44 PM.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #21
Member
 
craig11152's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Ann Arbor MI
Posts: 1,991
Rewards Points: 1,220
Default

Re: False Dormers


Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
I'm unsure what you mean. Are you suggesting it's not a good option? If so, could you explain why?
Its an aesthetic option and I pass no judgement on that.
I spent 28 years as a residential roofer and in my experience the more things that break up the plane of a roof the more somethings a "roofer" can screw up. Valleys, sidewalls, chimney's, cap running under shingles, vents, 3 planes coming together, etc are all potential leaks waiting to happen if the guy doing them "graduated at the bottom of the class".
And believe me whether its roofing, where you don't even need to go to school, or medical school or law school or whatever, for everybody that graduated at the top of the class somebody graduated at the bottom and it ain't tattooed to their forehead.
__________________
Don't look at me. I didn't vote for either one of them.
craig11152 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to craig11152 For This Useful Post:
cibula11 (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 01:42 PM   #22
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,343
Rewards Points: 818
Default

Re: False Dormers


Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Its an aesthetic option and I pass no judgement on that.
I spent 28 years as a residential roofer and in my experience the more things that break up the plane of a roof the more somethings a "roofer" can screw up. Valleys, sidewalls, chimney's, cap running under shingles, vents, 3 planes coming together, etc are all potential leaks waiting to happen if the guy doing them "graduated at the bottom of the class".
And believe me whether its roofing, where you don't even need to go to school, or medical school or law school or whatever, for everybody that graduated at the top of the class somebody graduated at the bottom and it ain't tattooed to their forehead.
Sure. I get it. I'm doing the roof myself, along with my brother who is a contractor. Both of us have had plenty of experience with roofing. This doesn't bother me in terms of skill/ability and doing it the right way. Clearly anything more than a standard gable is going to have a better chance of leaking, but then again, you don't see many of those simple rooflines any longer either. I appreciate the response.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:19 AM   #23
AHH, SPANS!!!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Durham NC
Posts: 1,751
Rewards Points: 1,166
Default

Re: False Dormers


Quote:
Originally Posted by cibula11 View Post
It's two roof planes. The one that is pitched 12/12 at the top is from the old/original roof. When the addition was added below, they used trusses and placed them on top of the existing roof, which is why the roof transitions to 6/12 or so.

Does the dormer look okay in terms of size and is the weight a concern or not really?
do you have pics of attic frame layout from within the attic? could help determine.... usually with a dormer like that you just add rafter blocking at the peak of the dormer A where it lands on old roof. the rest of the weight of dormer distributes out evenly landing across more bearing points of contact. in fact, the flat plate you lay down on old roof to land the dormer rafters on help distribute as well...( I usually use two 2x6 laid on old roof for 2x8 dormer rafters). if you need more info on that let me know... good luck

edit.. do plan to start the dormer set back to be in line with your exterior wall so that you have a roof water table that matches the existing overhang amount.. nothing worse than seeing the dormer come out over the over hang

Last edited by hand drive; 04-12-2016 at 10:22 AM.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hand drive For This Useful Post:
cibula11 (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #24
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Des Moines, IA
Posts: 1,343
Rewards Points: 818
Default

Re: False Dormers


Quote:
Originally Posted by hand drive View Post
do you have pics of attic frame layout from within the attic? could help determine.... usually with a dormer like that you just add rafter blocking at the peak of the dormer A where it lands on old roof. the rest of the weight of dormer distributes out evenly landing across more bearing points of contact. in fact, the flat plate you lay down on old roof to land the dormer rafters on help distribute as well...( I usually use two 2x6 laid on old roof for 2x8 dormer rafters). if you need more info on that let me know... good luck

edit.. do plan to start the dormer set back to be in line with your exterior wall so that you have a roof water table that matches the existing overhang amount.. nothing worse than seeing the dormer come out over the over hang
Thanks. I don't have a picture of the truss layout in the attic. It's pretty standard 24" o.c. trusses. Nothing out of the ordinary. I will be doing just as you say laying down 2x6 plate and framing set back so the dormer wall lands on exterior wall, with current gutter/eave left alone. It will have a similar overhand (6-8") as the rest of the house. We contemplated going much larger on the dormer, but feel like if we're doing that, we might as well just pull the whole roof and do an addition...something that's not in the budget.

I do plan on adding some blocking across the rafter/trusses in the attic, not just to provide a nailer, but for weight distribution as well.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
False wall 'air vents' Wandererone Building & Construction 9 06-03-2013 06:22 PM
Adding dormers, same pitch or not? jcrack_corn Building & Construction 8 05-06-2012 04:38 PM
Dormer's strength leave it as is? bigal0043 Roofing/Siding 3 05-13-2010 08:33 PM
How can I safely get to 2nd story dormers to paint? marymac0102 Painting 3 10-16-2008 09:34 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts