Extra Upport For Load Bearing Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

extra upport for load bearing wall

I have a ranch home on a slab. I just found a small termite infestation on an interior, load bearing wall. the little suckers came up by the chimney/furnace and proceeded to munch on 1 stud that is between 2 others. the stud to the left and right of the "damaged" one are intact and solid as are the sills on the floor and ceiling.
the damaged stud is weakened but not terrible. i would consider sistering the stud except there are pipes on both the left and right of the stud making this impossible. removal and replacement would be difficult but not impossible.
my neighbor, who is an engineer with experience primarily in concrete recommended a different approach. currently studs are 16 inches apart on center so definitely up to code. he suggested I add 2 studs- one on the left and one on the right of the "damaged" stud and then leave the damaged stud in the wall as even extra support. this will obviously occur after my house and the area is treated by a licensed termite exterminator, which will occur tomorrow.
anyone see any problems with this idea? my father also recommended that we put the stud in in pices and use screw horizontall boards into the studs currently 16 inches apart. the damaged stud is strong enough at that height to support the screw. damage is mostly towards the bottom of the stud.
thoughts?
coombs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
STRUCTURAL

Rewards Points: 25

Both are good suggestions. Nothing wrong with either one of them.
ENGINEER10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 02:35 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

thanks for the advice! i have some co-workers who are making fun of me (not really serious) that the plan is flawed which made me question. i appreciate the feedback!
if it were easy to remove and replace the stud i would but in front of the wall i have all of my furnace and water pipes so i would have to temporarily cut those away, replace the stud, sheetrock and then re-sodder the pipes which is a pain. i would rather leave a partially damaged stud alone and just supplement.
coombs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
extra support , load bearing wall