Exterior Waterproofing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2015, 01:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 225

Exterior waterproofing

Basement leaks after it rains near the bottom of the concrete blocks. Have read to waterproof from the exterior need to get the bottom of the foundation. Would like to try going maybe a 2ft by 2ft trench with stone, 4inch pipe then stone and backfill. Anyone try this? Opinions?
gt1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 06:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,118

The outside wall will still need to be waterproofed, and any voids filled with Hydrolic Cement.
What your suggesting is called a French Drain.
I use SCH 20 PVC drain lines with the holes facing down sitting on a bed of stone.
I find it easier to work with and set to slope then a huge roll of plastic pipe.
Also a good time to run a seperate line to drain the gutters if your grade allows for a way to run it to daylight.
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 225

Cant edit my post. Not sure if what I wrote was clear. I do not plan going down to the foundation. Just a trench 2ft x2ft on the exterior foundation. Thanks.
gt1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,474

Haven't paid a ton of attention, but think TWO kinds of water that can mes with your basement. Type 1 is rain water, run off, whatever that runs towards the house, sinks down, and gets in the basement. Your preach would help with that. Second think ground water, that is water that just rises in the overall soil as a result of excessive rain or springs or whatever. Surface swale would not do much for that. Ron
ront02769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #5
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,166

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1935 View Post
Cant edit my post. Not sure if what I wrote was clear. I do not plan going down to the foundation. Just a trench 2ft x2ft on the exterior foundation. Thanks.
even if you put drainage there will still be water that makes it to he wall and will get into the blocks and find its way down to the bottom blocks where they leak into structure you need to foundation seal up the block so water does not fill inside of them. best is to foundation seal then add drainage to divert the water away.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement