Exterior Concrete Deck Waterproofing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Canarywood1

Old 06-25-2018, 12:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Exterior concrete deck waterproofing

I have a detached garage with a flat concrete roof that also serves as a deck. The vertical wall of the garage are also poured concrete and are covered with exterior porcelain tile. When it rains water is getting behind the tile and in the winter it freezes and pops the tile loose. There concrete roof overhangs the vertical walls by 1/4 to 1/2 inch and in places has a grooved drip edge but on one side the overhang is so small that no drip edge exists. I've tried waterproofing the deck with waterproofing stain and Drylok but water is still getting behind the tile either through the concrete or from runoff over the edge or perhaps a combination of both.

It was suggested that I use Ditra tile underlayment and tile the deck. I assume I could create a drip edge with tile that would extend past the the bottom edge of the vertical edge of the roof/deck. Do you think this would work? My concern with this solution is cost.

It has also been suggested that I could use polyurethane traffic coating such as Pecora or Tremco. My concern with this approach is that I dont' think this solves the drip edge issue.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
ralane01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,270

Re: Exterior concrete deck waterproofing

You could consider cutting a reglet and flashing it. The depth would be a consideration. You would not want the expose steel that is in the concrete likely about 2" from the edge.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=cut+a...=1529945339902
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2018, 01:26 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 82

If I am picturing the building being as in my sketch, if it were mine I would go for the simpler approach. Just me though, as I have to pinch pennies now in my old age.

Last edited by Gregsoldtruck79; 06-26-2018 at 07:53 PM.
Gregsoldtruck79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2018, 03:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,042

I'd try the sealant where the overhang no longer exists, it definitely will keep the water from getting behind the tile , Sikaflex,BASF NP1, or OSI quad, are pretty much all polyurethane sealants, and expand and contract with weather changes.
stadry likes this.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,834

drylock - that's rich !

proper solutions ( methods/mtls ) are never cheap but compare to the cost/aggravation of doing the work again,,, penny-wise/pound foolish = mucho aggravation & p'd/o clients

have the same situation w/an hoa client,,, they took the competitor's cheap route last year & just called us back in,,, pita - now the $ we submitted is double based on removing incorrect mtls
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement