Estimating Fees - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-04-2014, 11:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Estimating Fees

Given that there cities have master fee schedules, is there no way to estimate all (or most) residential construction fees?

I have discovered some city fee estimators online. For example, Berkeley's Fee Estimator. But even that tool notes how plumbing, mechanical, and electrical fees are excluded.

It seems like there are both hard and soft fees, where some are flat rate and others are hourly or based on "valuation". Also, I'm not clear if "valuation" equates to the expected increase in equity, or the projected investment.

If anyone has general insights into fee practices, please share. Specifically, I'm curious about new construction fees for the City of Alameda, Orinda, Pleasant Hill, Lafayette, Oakland, Albany, and/or El Cerrito - areas in Alameda and Contra Costa counties.

Lastly, I've taken to this construction budget (from byoh.com) due to it's apparently detailed line items. However, the line-item for permits in Santa Rosa is only ~$3K, which seems extremely low. Would anyone take a glance at this and let me know what financials are missing (besides the lot price)?

Thanks much in advance. Any links or book suggestions are welcome!
bemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2014, 12:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,836

Quote:
However, the line-item for permits in Santa Rosa is only ~$3K, which seems extremely low.
I have no idea where you came up with that number.

Maybe you should e-mail the City Community Development Dept, tell them what you are thing of, and ask them for a fee estimate.

I can tell you that their estimate on a single family home, within a subdivision, 1800 sq. ft. on a 6000 sq ft lot, is 48K + school fees.
If it happens to be in the southwest area 60k + school fees, and southeast is 62K + school fees.

Just their water&sewer hookup and demand fees (incl in the above) approach 20K for that 1800 sq ft home.

Based on the California Building Code definition of Valuation, the dwelling unit and garage described above would be $207,738 . That is a valuation figure not a market price.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oso954 For This Useful Post:
bemson (08-05-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 01:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Is there a builders handbook for California, or Alameda County? I spoke with some knowledgable friends, who said I can find information on required permits and fees via a handbook.

I'm just trying to get a baseline estimate of what's needed to actually build. This does not include the building permit, but things like the water hookup (I've found the ebmud master schedule and fees, btw)... I figure there must be some consolidated resource for keeping track of these things.
bemson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 07:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 144

Check the permits issued.It should be easy to figure a average sf cost of new residential homes in your area with this information.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
bemson (08-31-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
budget , estimate , fees