Endless Conflicting Advice, Need Guidance - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 292

Endless conflicting advice, need guidance

Residing our house, aluminum to vinyl in the next couple weeks. I was ready to go but now I can't get my head straight. Current layers are studs, 1x6 (built before sheathing was used), ceramic type material, siding.

Question 1: I planned on removing the ceramic layer when I pull the siding. Contractor friend says no way, likely asbestos and nobody will dispose of it for me. Another person says absolutely remove it, it will break into a million pieces when you nail through it, fall to the bottom, and bulge out the new siding. Every house on the block has it, anybody dealt with it?

Q 2: I was planning to wrap the house, then side. Inspector says since I do not plan on removing my window trims (new 2 years ago with the windows) I need to tape the wrap TO the trim. Does this sound right? Would I just tape as little of the trim as possible to keep it from being visible?

Q3: Supply company recommends I put fan-fold over the ceramic layer, then house wrap over it, then side. Seems like overkill to me, don't know how much 1/4" fan-fold will help anything. Is it necessary? If I use it, does it go over or under the house wrap?

Thanks all! I want to get clear on this and get fired up to finish this project again!
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 10:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

I don't know what you are calling ceramic. I have never seen a tiled siding house. You might want to post some pictures and supply a more detailed description of this product. Length, width and thickness would help. Do you mean brittle when you say ceramic? If so, you might have a mineral fiber siding. In older houses, this was asbestos. Removing this is fairly simple and completely harmless if you do it correctly. Disposing if it should not be a problem, but might cost more then traditional construction debris.
You should definitely remove this layer of siding as it will shatter when you start nailing into it.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply. Its not tile, I've drilled through it putting in things like a bath vent. Definitely brittle and hard as all heck! The outside edge looks and feels like ceramic, inside of it looks like fiber board so you're probably dead on. I'll snap a pic tonight and post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 09:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

I've sided a lot of homes with tile / asbestos siding on it. I have never once removed it. If you should, do it quickly and on a weekend, as I think there's an epa mandate that the work be done by an environmental company... Just go ahead and add a few grand to your cost if you get caught and have to go that route.

The purpose of using the fanfold insulation is when you side over asbestos tiles, the siding can appear a bit wavy if not insulated. It makes for a much cleaner, smoother look to the finished job.
I can honestly say that I have, I think one time, broken a tile and heard it slide down.... in 30 siding jobs.
I think the fanfold goes underneath the tyvek / house wrap. I have posted a question seeking advice tonight on this subject.
Good luck w your project.
brokenhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 10:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenhammer View Post
I've sided a lot of homes with tile / asbestos siding on it. I have never once removed it. If you should, do it quickly and on a weekend, as I think there's an epa mandate that the work be done by an environmental company... Just go ahead and add a few grand to your cost if you get caught and have to go that route.

The purpose of using the fanfold insulation is when you side over asbestos tiles, the siding can appear a bit wavy if not insulated. It makes for a much cleaner, smoother look to the finished job.
I can honestly say that I have, I think one time, broken a tile and heard it slide down.... in 30 siding jobs.
I think the fanfold goes underneath the tyvek / house wrap. I have posted a question seeking advice tonight on this subject.
So you've done 30 siding jobs without a clear understanding on the substrate layers.
An absolutely stunning revelation. So why are you giving advice?
Ron
Old 07-24-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenhammer View Post

I agree with brokenhammer although I don't see the need for the Tyvek as Tyvek is an air infiltrator and with 1X6 sheathing it is sure to have felt plus the siding already in place it should be fairly air tight. In case anyone missed what the sheathing is here is the OP's first post.

"Residing our house, aluminum to vinyl in the next couple weeks. I was ready to go but now I can't get my head straight. Current layers are studs, 1x6 (built before sheathing was used), ceramic type material, siding."

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 11:12 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 468

I have the asbestos siding on my house. Great stuff, paintable and durable. Impact will crack it but GAF makes replacements out of another material. The paint never peels off it. The only reason I need to repaint is due to the sun fading the paint on the south side.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #8

FINALLY got some pics taken, one more layer than I remembered. From the inside out is studs, stcked 1x6, extremely hard rippled surface that I called ceramic before, fiber board, aluminum siding. My thought now is not to reinvent the wheel and just take off the aluminum and put the new vinyl right over the fiber board.

Advice? Is there even a need for Tyvek? ...I have a pretty 9'x150' roll of the stuff already!
Attached Thumbnails
Endless conflicting advice, need guidance-window1.jpg   Endless conflicting advice, need guidance-siding2.jpg   Endless conflicting advice, need guidance-siding3.jpg   Endless conflicting advice, need guidance-siding4.jpg  
Old 07-29-2010, 06:23 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 506

I'm guessing you are planning on staying there for a while, if so, more insulation is always good. the asbestos is more insulation if nothing else. I definately don't see a reason to take down the fiberboard. With all those layers, I don't see the point of Tyvec either, but go for it if you want to.

I don't think I'd ever put up Vinyl siding on anything I wanted to look good for more than 5 years.

I've seen plenty of older vinyl siding, and it all turns to crap once it gets a few years old. it fades, and it cracks real easy. it often looks wavy. Vinyl is my last choice in siding material. I'd rather repain the Aluminum again and again.

I'd probably go with something like a cement.

Last edited by forresth; 07-29-2010 at 06:26 PM.
forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by forresth View Post
I'm guessing you are planning on staying there for a while..... I don't think I'd ever put up Vinyl siding on anything I wanted to look good for more than 5 years.
I'd probably go with something like a cement.
You hit it on the head there... our timeline is no more than 2 years at this point. The siding we have has been painted and it looks like heck; the inside of our house is the best on the block but curb appeal is so bad compared to other houses buyers won't bother to get that far!
Old 07-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
Totally screwed together

Rewards Points: 250

That doesn't look like ceramic or asbestos tile, it looks like masonite or hardboard.
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 07:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxPaulCPxx View Post
That doesn't look like ceramic or asbestos tile, it looks like masonite or hardboard.
I see aluminum siding, homosote board, a part of a cedar shingle and asbestos(mineral) siding.
Ron
Old 07-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 174

Remove the aluminum and cash in on that.

Leave the fiber board, it will hold the Asbestos at bay.

Wrap the house and install your siding of choice.

No need for ľ” fanfold, it’s only R-1 and it’s true purpose is to cover lap siding so there’s a new smooth surface for the Vinyl.

You have a smooth surface with the fiber board.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #14
Totally screwed together

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I see aluminum siding, homosote board, a part of a cedar shingle and asbestos(mineral) siding.
Ron
Where do you see those last two?
xxPaulCPxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:14 AM   #15

Once again, thank you all for your input! What Ron sees as a cedar shake is actually a shim behind the fiber board (good eyes!). That settles it, I'm going right over the fiber board. Guess I'm going to need some longer nails....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement