Enclosing Porch Help!! - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Enclosing Porch Help!!

We are buying a home with a extended roof over the porch with no floor. We are wanting to close the area in and extend the living room. As you can see the very edge of the roof is braced with 4x4s. How do I enclose this area while supporting the edge of the extended roof? The open area is 10'6" X 20'7". Any help on how to do this is greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Enclosing Porch Help!!-reunion-house-019b.jpg   Enclosing Porch Help!!-reunion-house-054south.jpg   Enclosing Porch Help!!-front-croppedb.jpg  
gatekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 05:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

hi gatekeeper. i'll be the first to try to respond:

i'm a bit confused by your wording, but it sounds like you want to extend the living room to all way out to the tip of the overhang line? or are otherwise concerned about supporting the overhang?

the overhang is fine. right where the posts are is the "building line", and if you closed it in, the wall would be right where the 4X4s are.

i'll tell you right off the bat: to properly enclose this to make it into an extension of the living space, you're essentially building an addition from scratch, except in your case you've at least already got the roof.

what i mean by this is: you would likely need to redo the foundation, either pour new piers and footings, then frame a floor with PT, frame walls as usual, then insulate, wire, plumb, etc...

so the biggest question is: what are those posts sitting on?

if you've got solid piers there, here is how would do it:

luckily you've got room below your existing floor, so i would hang ledgers on the two outer walls. i would then brace the roof, remove the posts, and frame a small post off the piers to carry your rim joists. or if it's low enough the rim joist would anchor right to the pier. then drop in the floor joists, sheath the floor with plywood, then frame a 2X6 wall directly under the header, framing to framing.

from there it's an "easy" case of exterior sheathing, windows, interior insulation, drywall, electrical, whatever else you need.

if there's any doubt about your piers, brace the roof with some 2X6s cut into a bird's mouth at the end, and redo the piers. there's gotta be something pretty solid there, based on how this was designed. that's my guess, at least.

if you plan this very carefully, you could essentially remove the entire existing exterior wall, put in a big header in its place, and basically "drag" the old wall out onto the new (save the siding, door and window, and everything fits).

Last edited by wombosi; 09-20-2010 at 05:36 PM.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 04:40 AM   #3

Smoozle

Yep thats pretty much what I want to do. Im sorry I didnt word it better just wasnt sure how to express it. The 4x4s are sitting on 2' pavers. I knew and agree with what you say needs to be done to extend the living room - I was more concerned with how to support the roof at the overhang line.There are only those 3 - 4x4s supporting it and wasnt sure how much weight they supported or how to safely remove them and still support the overhang while framing in the area with sills, girders, subflooring etc. I appreciate any and all assistance.

Thanks
G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

what's really supporting the roof is the big header above the posts. it looks like there is something like a double 2X10 running the whole length of the roof; the 4X4s are holding up the 2X10.

the overhanging roof beyond the header is simply "rafter tails" sticking out in typical fashion. the roof is well supported. the problem is the 2' pavers. i would say regardless of where you live (whether you get frost heaves or not), to brace the header, remove the 4X4s and pavers, dig some big holes, pour some bigfoots and piers, and frame a floor and wall underneath that header.
that would be the cheap method of construction.

if for some reason i'm wrong about the header, you would essentially gut the ceiling, build a temporary supporting wall somewhere in the middle, and run your 2X6 or 2X4 top plate right to the bird's mouth in the rafters.

good luck.

Last edited by wombosi; 09-21-2010 at 08:23 AM.
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:30 AM   #5
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

You should probably discuss this with the building inspector first. Unless you live out where the buses don't run there is a good chance you will need a building permit plus a zoning permit, as you are adding habitable space to your house. Good plan is to get the facts on the permit situation, develop the plans, pull the permit, then do the work, rather than do the work first and explain to the zoning administrator and/or building inspector later.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:29 PM   #6

Question

Out In The Boonies

We live in National Forest. I dont think P&Z (Planning & Zoning) goes out into our area but Ill check.

Thanks
Gate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement