Enclosing Crawl Space Under Sun Room - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-14-2014, 01:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Enclosing crawl space under sun room

Hello Everyone,

First time poster here!

I am doing some repairs to a sunroom attached to my house in the Boston area. Under the sunroom is a crawl space with dirt floor, separated from the rest of the house by the foundation wall. Currently the crawl space is enclosed with stucco, which I need to remove.

My question is what is the best product to use to enclose the crawl space? I want something durable and resistant to carpenter ants etc. The rest of the house is brick on a stone foundation.

Additionally should I be considering insulation and if so what type? The basement and crawl space are connected by an opening about the size of the window, which I have sealed up with poly since moving in. The sunroom is wide open to the main living space and is a bad source of drafts / cold at the moment. I am having all windows replaced and the walls reinsulated.

Thanks
Sean
rankamateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 01:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 126

Best way, insulate the crawl area ceiling with fibreglass batts, and vent the crawl area to the outside
jack45870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2014, 01:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 17,940

Post a picture of it when you have enough post.
Best looking way would be to pore footings and use cement blocks with brick facing so it would match the rest of the house, or Parge it.
Also will need a vapor barrier on the ground.
Can not use Hardee Board, it can not be in direct contact with the ground
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 10:28 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 4

Eifs?

Thanks for the responses so far.

By the way, I should have made it clear that the sunroon itself is not brick sided, it has clapboard, so going with block and brick would be too much.

What about EIFS? Is that a good option?

I have found other threads where there is debate about venting or sealing and conditioning the crawl space. Ihave the option of doing either since there is a basement window open to the crawl space (which is currently not vented). Which is best?

Thanks
rankamateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 11:44 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,600

maybe something like Trex applied as clapboard?

i would not seal it, allow air to flow, its not a controlled space like inside your home, otherwise you will create nasty environment which can destroy other elements of the structure, i might even throw down some poly sheeting over the dirt. i would also provision some sort of access for bug spraying, etc. maybe just a couple of vents....
concrete_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement