Drywalling Garage, What To Do About Vents? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2010, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Drywalling Garage, what to do about vents?

Ok so I have a detached garage. I am preparing to insulate and drywall the sucker. I have already worked out the soffit vent and whirlybird vent in the "attic" of the garage, but now I'm not sure what (if anything) I am supposed to do about the actual room.

1) It will not be used for living space. It will be a workshop/game room.
2) There are currently two standard air vents low to the ground. (photo attached)

So, Do I seal them up and Drywall over them? Do I cut around and leave them? Should I install a vent elsewhere in lieu of these low vents?

I should mention that I'm not "super" concerned about the code, as there are a few things in the garage already (when I bought it) that were not permitted. However, I still would like to do the "right" thing for the situation, I just don't know what that is.
Attached Thumbnails
Drywalling Garage, what to do about vents?-vent.jpg  
kronic24601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 10:40 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

If they are not venting a crawlspace ( does not appear that they are ) you are fine.

Not sure why they were installed in the first place. If space was acting as Garage, maybe to vent for "heavy vapors" gasoline etc.
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 10:54 AM   #3

No crawlspace, just concrete slab. As far as I know, pretty much every Garage here in Southern CA has some sort of vent like that in it. I do believe it is for Vapor/Fumes ... or perhaps Carbon Monoxide (car running?). But as I won't be having a car/ or things that cause fumes I was hoping it's not a big deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2010, 10:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Yep, not a big deal. Cover them
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 31,914

Unless California has some special code requiring them I'd cover them up. Never seen them around here.
joed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:01 PM   #6

thanks guys, I'm covering them.
Old 12-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #7

They are suicide vents. They make it difficult to commit suicide by leaving the car engine running with the door closed. They are not mandated by the building code.
Tigerloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:39 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 526

Check with your local Building Department before converting it from a garage. There may be certain conditions that need to be met such as replacement parking, driveway closed or removed, a variance required, and possible historic review if older than 45years. Example: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...4k2ThhSDu4Hk9A

Your H.O. Insurance carrier will want to be notified also, for any future claims following the permit and paper trail you get from your County.

Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement