Drywall On Basement Walls - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-19-2010, 12:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

drywall on basement walls

I want to remodel the basement, which includes covering the concrete block walls with sheetrock.

I know I need to keep the sheetrock off the wall, so I am looking for some metal furring channel, or hat channel. I want to use non-porous metal instead of wood furring strips to combat potential moisture absorbtion.

The problem is, I cant find the furring channel anywhere. Does anyone know of any retail supplier of it? I live in central IL.
astropunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
Handyman

Rewards Points: 520

All of the big box stores sell it. Is there a reason your are not framing? The furring strips will not provide a sufficient cavity for insulation. Nor will they provide access for electrical, plumbing, etc.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 01:49 PM   #3

None of the Lowes-Depot-BigBoxMarts around here sell it. I dont have any plumbing concerns, and I can use the narrow depth boxes for electrical outlets. The walls are already insulated with 1" styrofoam. The existing walls used wood 1x1 furring strips glued and nailed into the block. I dont want wood because it holds moisture, so my thought was to replace them with metal. I figured this would be the best solution in terms of overall ease and cost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2010, 04:56 PM   #4
Handyman

Rewards Points: 520

Maybe someone will chime in here with advice living in the same area. I can only offer true facts, not shortcuts
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #5

Well $2/stud vs $11 for a 10ft piece of the metal stuff just made the decision easy. Looks like I will be tearing it down and framing new walls. But thanks anyway for staying on the high ground with "true facts", and not leading me to take shortcuts.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 332

If the existing firring strips are absorbing moisture you need to find the source of that moisture and address that problem before framing your new walls
daveb1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement