Drilling Into Brick Wall - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2009, 05:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

drilling into brick wall

I have a hammer drill but have not had to use it yet. What are some guidelines/tips for drilling holes in a brick wall. I am installing a 50" plasma tv and want it to be secure. Can I drill into the mortar or does it have to be brick if I have either option. Is one a better option? Thanks for any help.
Mack V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Child Alert! Pull Up!

Rewards Points: 75

There are a few different types of wall anchors specific for masonry/concrete, with different load capacities. Ideally, drilling in the brick would be more stable. Best if hole is drilled away from edge of brick, closer to the center, but as we know, things dont always align the way we desire. Visit your local hardware store and ask an associate to show you whats available. Some kits come with the drill bit appropriate for the the size hole you need to drill. I don't think they are terribly expensive either. So knowing the weight of your plasma tv will help in determining what size/type wall anchor you will need, also consider the size of the holes in the mounting plate, to make sure they will accomodate the screws for the anchors.

fltdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I mounted my 40" LCD on a brick wall with sleeve anchors (I think 1/4 or 3/8). The sleeve expands as you tighten the bolt, and then you can cut off the excess screw. The sheer strength of the sleeve anchors was pretty high (something like 700-800lbs).
bsperr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsperr View Post
I mounted my 40" LCD on a brick wall with sleeve anchors (I think 1/4 or 3/8). The sleeve expands as you tighten the bolt, and then you can cut off the excess screw. The sheer strength of the sleeve anchors was pretty high (something like 700-800lbs).
All the pertinent information should be in the Installation Instruction for the specific appliance, taking into consideration size, weight and Center of Gravity. (i.e. appliances other than Plasma T.V.; Video monitors, fans, Etc. protruding from the wall)! As I pointed out in another post that for installing smaller objects like picture frames, smoke Detectors,etc., the anchors and screws that come along with the installation kit, are of such poor quality that It's worth discarding them and using standard anchoring devices.
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

FWIW, I think I remember the stand I used recommending against mounting the TV on a brick wall, but I can't imagine you having a problem if the wall is stable and the anchors are beefy. The anchor itself will specify the embedment and material to drill into (but I would be more comfortable grabbing the brick than the mortar). I would definitely go with a drop-in anchor, or some sort of epoxy or adhesive, as opposed to a tapcon.
bsperr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:21 AM   #6

Thanks everyone for the help. I will be moving in at the end of the month and want to be prepared for the installation.
Mack V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #7

brick wall

Here is a link to an article about hanging a TV on a brick fireplace.
http://www.concretefasteners.com/diy...fireplace.aspx
Bronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #8

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,716

Normally, the idea way is to put an anchor into the mortar. This is because the mortar is more consistent then brick, which has widely different properties. Some hard brick and difficult to drill into, but they are brittle and can crack as the anchor is tightened. Stronger is not always better when it comes to masonry.

If you are lucky enough, you can put the anchor into the horizontal or bed joint. Because the anchor will be about 3/8", it will fit into the joint and any vertical shear load wound be distributed immediately to the brick in the wall. There is really nothing wrong with using the vertical or head joint for the mounting. - It is far better than trying to drill a hole close to the edge of a brick that can crack.

Unfortunately, the mounting brackets are dimensioned by people that do not know what size brick you have, so it is difficult to get a series of holes to match where you want to drill.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 500
Lightbulb

Concretemasonry (Poster #8) I'll just address myself to what you say in the first Paragraph. Namely. that it's preferable to drill into the mortar (between the Two (Horizontal) bricks). a) Because it's much easier. b) (and this is more important) Because you have the sturdiness of both bricks. Rather than into the brick itself because it is brittle, and gives much less support. Same goes for Ceramic tile. eliminate confusion Through Education; Don't Drink and Drive, Ever!!!

Last edited by spark plug; 11-11-2009 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Typographical error (Typo)
spark plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement