Douglas Fir For Outdoor Shelter - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2018, 12:34 PM   #1

Douglas fir for outdoor shelter

Found some Douglas Fir beams on Craigslist.

15 of 8x8" 12' treated beams
2 of 8x12" 18' beams
2 8x12" 16' beams

$1400 delivered

I want to use them in some shape or fashion to build a post beam shelter with a slant roof.

Seller claims they're new condition, but I think they have been sitting exposed on a job site for a few months.

1. My biggest concern is stability outdoors. The beams will be covered with a roof, and will use a Simpson above ground strongtie in concrete to secure the post beams, so they're out of the dirt.

2. Is the price fair? Local lumber yard can order the 12' 8x8" Douglas fir beams for $180 a piece here in the south. This appears like a good deal to me, but I don't know how to judge it or if using potentially weathered Douglas fir is inappropriate?
andysrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 708

Re: Douglas fir for outdoor shelter

Not sure where you are located, but for reference, the last time I bought DF timbers, they were $1.50 FBM FOB mill site, so you have about 2200 FBM there.
Sounds like a decent price to me. Especially since they are being delivered.
DF can withstand the weathering, no problem. Buff them up a bit and they should be fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2018, 06:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 272

12' are treated but may not be ground contact. Means you shouldn't bury it. Others are just beams and must be protected. You also don't know what kind of structure you need, therefore what kind of load capacity for your lumber. Also the condition. Warp or twist? You may have to stress the lumber to check for any cracks. I wouldn't buy unless I had the plan first and definitely not materials that I'm not familiar with. Why pay that much money for 8x12 when 2x lvl may be cheaper?
Also how are you going to handle them?
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2018, 02:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 708

To correct my previous post, note that you have 1504 FBM of wood there.
The 2200 number would be the approximate value based on $1.50 per FBM.

Transcription error.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement