Does This Contractor's Plan Sound Legit? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Poll: Can I use 2x4 PT for joists on an 8x8x3 deck that will hold a stackable washer dryer?
Poll Options
Can I use 2x4 PT for joists on an 8x8x3 deck that will hold a stackable washer dryer?

Like Tree5Likes

Old 05-26-2016, 07:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20
Exclamation

Does this Contractor's plan sound legit?

I was in Home Depot getting wood for a diy deck. I'm a 30yo lady mind you. I knew I needed PT lumber, I knew I needed 4x4 posts set in concrete. My question to the HD guy was if it mattered if I used 2x4 or 2x6 to frame the floor and as joists. This contractor was more than happy to help but he told me to get 2x4 pt for joists. I'm making a freestanding deck in front of a tiny house 8x8 3'off the ground (because apparently that's easier due to standard material dimensions says the contractor...... anywho, it's mainly just a little laundry area for a stackable washer dryer..... I know code mandates 2x6, but I don't need to pull permits. I just want it structurally sound. I was going to buy thw 2x6 initially, but cheaped out because he offered to do it for $100,and I figured he knows more than I do. But he's insisting 2x4 is safe, i'm just not sure. Especially when the cost difference is less thn $40.

Be gentle. I'm a 30 yo lady who can work a jigsaw and a tile saw Be kind. PLEASE.
tinyhousediy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2016, 08:22 PM   #2
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

Re: Does this Contractor's plan sound legit?

There are many charts that list how far with what type of wood. For me it is just common sense. No on the 4x4 posts and no on the 2x4 deck joists. Not sure what will be done for 100 dollars. I would do the layout on a napkin for a hundred dollars.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2016, 08:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 16

For the price diiference in 40$ go with the 2x6 for sure. Good luck let us know how it turns out......maybe a few pics along the way
FullSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2016, 08:27 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
There are many charts that list how far with what type of wood. For me it is just common sense. No on the 4x4 posts and no on the 2x4 deck joists. Not sure what will be done for 100 dollars. I would do the layout on a napkin for a hundred dollars.
4x4s are fine however 2x4s are not definately go 2x6 unless you want sagging a year from now. Do not let him tell you any other way. Even though the price is cheap pay on completion once satisfied.
Trout likes this.
FullSwing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FullSwing For This Useful Post:
tinyhousediy (05-27-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

This fellow is not doing you a favor---2x6 minimum---posts set in concrete rot rather quickly with the acq treated wood---the proper way is to cast a pier with a post anchor on top--this will keep the wood from sitting in a wet hole---

I suggest you do a google image search for deck construction---

8x8 is a very small deck---saving a few dollars and ending up with a weak ,short lived structure is not wise.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:33 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 17,808

None of his suggestions make since.
No way do you need to be following anyone's suggestions at a box store !!!!!
We have no location so no idea what you local code's are.
Most call for 6 X 6 post.
No way is 2 X 4 joist going to work !!!
If I was building it it would be 2 X 8 joist and 2 X 10 rim joist.
What's your location?
First red flag, your building a deck for a laundry room !.
Second one is he's doing this for $100.00 !!!
There just has to be more to this then what you have said so far.
GAPossum, Mingledtrash and Trout like this.

Last edited by joecaption; 05-26-2016 at 09:39 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
ddawg16 (05-26-2016)
Old 05-26-2016, 11:52 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 8,982

Ditto on what Joecaption and O'Mike said.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:43 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyhousediy View Post
I was in Home Depot getting wood for a diy deck. I'm a 30yo lady mind you. I knew I needed PT lumber, I knew I needed 4x4 posts set in concrete. My question to the HD guy was if it mattered if I used 2x4 or 2x6 to frame the floor and as joists. This contractor was more than happy to help but he told me to get 2x4 pt for joists. I'm making a freestanding deck in front of a tiny house 8x8 3'off the ground (because apparently that's easier due to standard material dimensions says the contractor...... anywho, it's mainly just a little laundry area for a stackable washer dryer..... I know code mandates 2x6, but I don't need to pull permits. I just want it structurally sound. I was going to buy thw 2x6 initially, but cheaped out because he offered to do it for $100,and I figured he knows more than I do. But he's insisting 2x4 is safe, i'm just not sure. Especially when the cost difference is less thn $40.

Be gentle. I'm a 30 yo lady who can work a jigsaw and a tile saw Be kind. PLEASE.
if he works for HD he is not supposed to do jobs , he can get fired for doing outside job's . ask him the reason for this is if a person works for HD and the job is not right you can go back on HD and demand it be done right and the person will get fired don't do it
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 06:46 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,944

The code, the rules, are minimum standards. You can't down grade it. Same with people working in homedepot. For info, a book is many heads above.
Mingledtrash likes this.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
Oso954 (05-27-2016)
Old 05-27-2016, 07:56 AM   #10
Lord of Slums

Rewards Points: 1,974

People that work at the big box stores are not contractors. Many of them are just repeating what they heard someone else say.
mj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:38 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullSwing View Post
For the price diiference in 40$ go with the 2x6 for sure. Good luck let us know how it turns out......maybe a few pics along the way
Thank you. I'll try to post them as i'll probably end up doing it myself. Maybe just 6x8 to be sure. Thank you.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullSwing View Post
4x4s are fine however 2x4s are not definately go 2x6 unless you want sagging a year from now. Do not let him tell you any other way. Even though the ptrice is cheap pay on completion once satisfied.
Thank you for the advice. On both points!
Old 05-27-2016, 03:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
This fellow is not doing you a favor---2x6 minimum---posts set in concrete rot rather quickly with the acq treated wood---the proper way is to cast a pier with a post anchor on top--this will keep the wood from sitting in a wet hole---

I suggest you do a google image search for deck construction---

8x8 is a very small deck---saving a few dollars and ending up with a weak ,short lived structure is not wise.
I live in Mojave Desert. In California. It would take years for us to get that much rain...... I did search, that's how I ended up at HD. The guy initially was offering suggestions because the sales guy was useless. And its not a deck for aesthetic purposes, its just going to house a stackable washer dryer, and maybe some tubs of junk, and if I'm lucky enough,, a hot water heater. Its only 3 feet off th ground too.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
None of his suggestions make since.
No way do you need to be following anyone's suggestions at a box store !!!!!
We have no location so no idea what you local code's are.
Most call for 6 X 6 post.
No way is 2 X 4 joist going to work !!!
If I was building it it would be 2 X 8 joist and 2 X 10 rim joist.
What's your location?
First red flag, your building a deck for a laundry room !.
Second one is he's doing this for $100.00 !!!
There just has to be more to this then what you have said so far.
I watched a few videos:

Went to Home Depot. The plan was to buy a bunch of PT wood, deck screws, a saw, and the concrete piers. Wasn't sure if I needed joist hangars and if 2x6 was mandatory or if 2x4 would work with blocking. They clerk didn't know so I asked some guy buying a bunch of wood with work boots on. He asked what I was doing, who was helping me, said its an easy enough job, and he'd charge $100. The plan was to set the 4x4 is concrete with rounded mounds for runoff, and the deck frame and joists would be 2x4,he said 2x6 is overkill for the size and load, and he'd sheath the floor in plywood. He could add a little roof if the deck was maybe 4x6 but I think that's too small if I'm going to be cutting away wood I paid for. I'm in Lancaster,Ca. You can build your own deck under 120 sq ft, but I think its owner built ones only (which I am). I'm 30. The supplies cost less than $200. If it lasts 10 years i'm grateful. Honestly the convenience and extra storage is worth $200 even if for only 1 year.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj12 View Post
The guy is a handy person, he claims to be a contractor for 33 years. I didn't get a card with license # to verify. He did have tons of pictures of him and a crew on jobs that looked really professional. He was kind enough to sketch up a plan an he even calculated how much material I would need. $100 to screw together 6 2x4s(or 2x6s), a sheet of plywood, and sinking 4 posts in quikrete didn't sound like a bad deal. The ground is already level. The deck isn't attached to anything, and doesn't require a permit. From what I read online, 2x4 should be ok at 12in on center joist spacing since the size of the deck, the height, and the load aren't that great. I understand codes being mandated for safety, but if you know your craft you should be able to make practical judgements. I don't mind buy 2x6, and i'm sure he wouldn't object to installing them. $300 ($200 supplies max, $100 labor) didn't seem like that bad of an investment to be able to use my stack washer and store some junk. Looking at this objectively Sir, do you see anything wrong with this plan in terms of cost, safety, do ability etc.?? I would have expected more people to ask about beams, and lag bolts, and joist hangars and such, geez. If it lasts 2 years i'm happy. I made a dog house from osb over a year ago on top of a pallet. It hasn't been painted and its holding up just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
deck , deck building , deck plans , diy deck , diy deck help