Do You See A Problem With This Modification? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2008, 05:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 260

Do you see a problem with this modification?

I have to replace a header due to termite damage. Here is the current framing:

The cripple studs on top of the header are about 5 inches long. I was thinking about increasing the size of the header to 4x12. The cripple studs will then only be 3 inches. Does anyone see anything wrong with this? I am also going to double up the king studs.
bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Capra aegagrus

Rewards Points: 10

Absolutely nothing at all wrong with that, although if the current king studs are in good shape, there's not a lot of point in adding more. Their primary purpose is just to keep the jack studs from shifting position.
Tinstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I agree
kevin211mvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008, 09:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Definately not a problem to upsize the header, and the short studs are ok as well.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

why not install the header tight to the top plates this way you can toe nail the header right to the plates,and being you where going to change the studs remove the jacks and install new ones and then block down the bottom of the header with the old jacks. I find this easier then cutting all those cripples and having to nail 3" 2x4's into the header. and try not to split them. BOB
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #6
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 354

If head room is important at all, I would consider using LVL (laminated veneer lumber). It is much stronger per inch and the cost is pretty close from a lumber yard versus the box stores. And I agree about incresing the thickness even if you go with 12", but rather than have 3" cripples, just add two 2x4s horizontally along the bottom. Still 3", but easier to attach your door/window/casing etc.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
why not install the header tight to the top plates this way you can toe nail the header right to the plates,and being you where going to change the studs remove the jacks and install new ones and then block down the bottom of the header with the old jacks. I find this easier then cutting all those cripples and having to nail 3" 2x4's into the header. and try not to split them. BOB
Great... Thanks for the idea. I am planning on installing a french door with two side lites next year. I will have more options with height doing it your way.

I have a couple more questions. What can I use as spacers below the header if it doesn't work out to 3 inches? That was a rough estimate. I'm guessing plywood strips???

Last edited by bluefitness; 11-09-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:22 PM   #8

Also, I need to removed the lower top plate (it is a double plate). What are the offsett requirements for this (overlap of 2x4 ends)? Is it 4 feet minimum, or can you have the bottom plate end anywhere as long as a stud is under the end. I hope I described this right.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:32 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
4 feet minimum, or can you have the bottom plate end anywhere as long as a stud is under the end.
That sums it up. No plate breaks within 4' of each other and you'll be good to go. Don't break the plate between studs if a joist bears between the studs.

You only have to have one continuous plate if all your loads stack, so removing one plate at the header location is not an issue at all.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 07:16 AM   #10
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
Great... Thanks for the idea. I am planning on installing a french door with two side lites next year. I will have more options with height doing it your way.

I have a couple more questions. What can I use as spacers below the header if it doesn't work out to 3 inches? That was a rough estimate. I'm guessing plywood strips???
what is your current ceiling height now? If its 8' And your using a 2x12 header with the top plates you will be around 14-1/2" down from the ceiling which wood be good for any interior [email protected] 82"
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement