Do I Need To Remove The Concrete Apron? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 1 Post By Gregsoldtruck79
  • 1 Post By Oso954
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Gregsoldtruck79

Old 07-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Do I need to remove the concrete apron?

My daughter has a 10' x 18' building on a 4" thick slab in her backyard. There is a 2' x 18' concrete apron running the length of the building. The apron is 4" thick at the slab and slopes to 3" thick at the yard to direct water away from building. She wants me to add a small bathroom (5' x 8') to the outside of her building. Is it necessary to remove the apron and pour a 5' x 8' x 4" slab or could I place a 3' x 8' x 4" slab next to the apron and fill the apron to level with one of the self leveling underlayments?
treumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 6,054

Re: Do I need to remove the concrete apron?

I would cut it close to the wall and break it off. diamond blade in a circular saw.
de-nagorg likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 1,540

If you leave the apron, the overlay will tend to slip and move with temperature fluctuations.

use a bonding agent between the two different wedges, to hold them together.

It's sold in the concretes aisle next to dyes, sealers, and additives.

Your choice, remove it, and pour a complete new pad, or spend time , money, effort trying to overlay.

For me fresh concrete is less money in the long run.

ED
Mike Milam likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 82

The OP will have to break it up some anyway to get the 3 inch toilet drain/hand sinks drain pipe in, so might as well take out a slab portion the room size needed ...and re-pour.

And the new toilet room pour had better allow for the water flow around it, because someone put that ramp along the full length of the shed for a good reason.

I would rent a 14 in. blade gas concrete saw with a water hose attachment to cut the slab though. The neighbors and the operator will love it, in lieu of running a dusty dry blade circular saw. JMO
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 07-21-2018, 01:44 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 886

Have you figured out the sewer line yet ?

From the building size and “in the backyard” it sounds like it may be flat enough to give you problems maintaining required slope on the new sewer line and intercepting the existing sewer line on your property.
Gregsoldtruck79 likes this.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #6

Not only needed slope, but will the AHJ even allow an outbuilding to tap a city sewer ? Or maybe it is rural, with a septic ...so not an issue ?
Old 07-21-2018, 01:52 PM   #7
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
The OP will have to break it up some anyway to get the 3 inch toilet drain/hand sinks drain pipe in, so might as well take out a slab portion the room size needed ...and re-pour.

And the new toilet room pour had better allow for the water flow around it, because someone put that ramp along the full length of the shed for a good reason.

I would rent a 14 in. blade gas concrete saw with a water hose attachment to cut the slab though. The neighbors and the operator will love it, in lieu of running a dusty dry blade circular saw. JMO
I make a dribble hose out of 1/4 tube and a hose adaptor.
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 07-21-2018, 02:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks for the responses. The plumbing will go in the new slab along the new outside wall and so is not an issue here. The waste pipes will be outside the apron area in either case. The waste is below grade and will gravity feed to a Zoeller style basin that will pump waste back up to the residence waste line. Question: is the apron likely to be part of the original slab or more likely a second pour? this goes to how easy it will be to remove? Yes, a new apron will need to be poured around the new slab. Again thanks for the responses.
treumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 02:15 PM   #9
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by treumann View Post
Thanks for the responses. The plumbing will go in the new slab along the new outside wall and so is not an issue here. The waste pipes will be outside the apron area in either case. The waste is below grade and will gravity feed to a Zoeller style basin that will pump waste back up to the residence waste line. Question: is the apron likely to be part of the original slab or more likely a second pour? this goes to how easy it will be to remove? Yes, a new apron will need to be poured around the new slab. Again thanks for the responses.
The apron is only a good idea if it is inches below the slab. Splash back on the bottom of the wall is not good.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
I make a dribble hose out of 1/4 tube and a hose adaptor.
How does that work out when your circular saw is plugged in to the required GFCI outlet and has water slinging all over it from the blade sling spray ?.

Years ago, I was using my 4 in. side grinder with a diamond cup cutter disc on our front concrete porch, to grind off the years of paint/carpet glue. I used a small tank sprayer of water to control the dust, while just barely wetting it down.

I had to keep resetting the GFCI outlet due to the wet slurry getting on the electric grinder and tripping it. We are talking a 4 inch newer Dewalt, double insulated 4 inch side grinder here, not an old metal case unit.
de-nagorg likes this.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #11
retired framer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsoldtruck79 View Post
How does that work out when your circular saw is plugged in to the required GFCI outlet and has water slinging all over it from the blade sling spray ?.

Years ago, I was using my 4 in. side grinder with a diamond cup cutter disc on our front concrete porch, to grind off the years of paint/carpet glue. I used a small tank sprayer of water to control the dust, while just barely wetting it down.

I had to keep resetting the GFCI outlet due to the wet slurry getting on the electric grinder and tripping it. We are talking a 4 inch newer Dewalt, double insulated 4 inch side grinder here, not an old metal case unit.
You zip tie to the saw right at the front of the blade and dribble the water.
It rains here we put up with that all the time, we try to find a non gfci.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement