Do I Need To Do Anything Before Insulating? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Bud9051
  • 1 Post By carpdad
  • 1 Post By HDS
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By Bud9051

Old 10-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Do I need to do anything before insulating?

I am planning to insulate this week and wondering if I should be doing any kind of sealing before the insulation goes in?

There are no obvious holes and it does not seem drafty. There is vinyl siding on the outside. The joints between the wood seem tight and there must be plywood or something over it before the vinyl because I see layers in a hole that goes up to the vinyl (that I will seal up)day, to seal any leaks should I use expanding foam or just silicone? If I should use foam should it be low expansion so it doesnít push against the vinyl?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
romeojk27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,734

Re: Do I need to do anything before insulating?

Sealing leaks is important and going crazy with a caulking gun is a good way to catch the ones you see as well as the ones you can't. No need for silicone caulk in fact I use large tubes (less expensive) construction adhesive. The tube hanging behind me happens to be Loctite PL 3x. It is sloe to harden but when cured it isn't going anywhere.

Bud
stick\shift and romeojk27 like this.
romeojk27 (10-16-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 07:58 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 492

If you're using regular fiberglass batts, air sealing becomes very important. Those batts depend on no air movement since the air pockets are the insulation. Even a slight draft (ones you can't feel) could take away all the expense and work that go into insulation. I would not guess if you have ply layers and how tight they are. My thought is seal every joint and holes and don't think about them. I used combo foam and dap painters caulk (mostly) because it is cheap. Don't waste the caulk and press the bead down. Also remember that in a t&g situation, you don't have to seal the whole gap, just the joint.

Don't use even the low expansion foam as such. Low expansion foam will expand enough to maybe push out vinyl. If you're seeing vinyl, you may want to patch the hole with thin ply with construction glue. Don't caulk on the vinyl since you may want to remove it later.

Also, are all adhesives compatible with vinyl or plastics? There were different adhesives for plastic material and I forget why. Read the instruction and make sure.

And remove all bits of paper and leave the studs clean. The side tabs on the batts must go over the studs, not inside them like the old insulation job there, for best air seal and no insulation compression/gaps. Make a mark on the tabs to show you the studs for drywall later.
romeojk27 likes this.

Last edited by carpdad; 10-16-2018 at 08:03 AM.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
romeojk27 (10-16-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2018, 09:04 AM   #4
HDS

Rewards Points: 324

This could be overkill, but do a blower door test and it will pinpoint all leaks for you. You'll find the big ones first, seal them, then start finding the smaller secondary ones after that.
romeojk27 likes this.
HDS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HDS For This Useful Post:
romeojk27 (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 09:30 AM   #5
retired framer

Rewards Points: 4,616

Get local advise, where I am we drill holes in the sheeting to make sure it will breath to the outside with poly on the inside. It mostly depends on the local climate.
romeojk27 likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nealtw For This Useful Post:
romeojk27 (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 08:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
If you're using regular fiberglass batts, air sealing becomes very important. Those batts depend on no air movement since the air pockets are the insulation. Even a slight draft (ones you can't feel) could take away all the expense and work that go into insulation. I would not guess if you have ply layers and how tight they are. My thought is seal every joint and holes and don't think about them. I used combo foam and dap painters caulk (mostly) because it is cheap. Don't waste the caulk and press the bead down. Also remember that in a t&g situation, you don't have to seal the whole gap, just the joint.

Don't use even the low expansion foam as such. Low expansion foam will expand enough to maybe push out vinyl. If you're seeing vinyl, you may want to patch the hole with thin ply with construction glue. Don't caulk on the vinyl since you may want to remove it later.

Also, are all adhesives compatible with vinyl or plastics? There were different adhesives for plastic material and I forget why. Read the instruction and make sure.

And remove all bits of paper and leave the studs clean. The side tabs on the batts must go over the studs, not inside them like the old insulation job there, for best air seal and no insulation compression/gaps. Make a mark on the tabs to show you the studs for drywall later.

Great advice thanks

Old 10-16-2018, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud9051 View Post
Sealing leaks is important and going crazy with a caulking gun is a good way to catch the ones you see as well as the ones you can't. No need for silicone caulk in fact I use large tubes (less expensive) construction adhesive. The tube hanging behind me happens to be Loctite PL 3x. It is sloe to harden but when cured it isn't going anywhere.

Bud

Thanks. I picked up some latex chalk today, it was inexpensive

Old 10-16-2018, 08:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDS View Post
This could be overkill, but do a blower door test and it will pinpoint all leaks for you. You'll find the big ones first, seal them, then start finding the smaller secondary ones after that.

Good advice but I donít have the setup/resources for it.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Get local advise, where I am we drill holes in the sheeting to make sure it will breath to the outside with poly on the inside. It mostly depends on the local climate.

Well, that seems like a different way to go. Iím south of Boston on Cape Cod and havenít heard of that before..but hey, Iím not in the trades and I learn something new every day. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2018, 09:21 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 7,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeojk27 View Post
Well, that seems like a different way to go. Iím south of Boston on Cape Cod and havenít heard of that before..but hey, Iím not in the trades and I learn something new every day. Thanks!

I'm pretty close to Canada and if Neal can provide a reference for drilling holes in the sheathing I'd like to read it, never seen it. Sure flies in the face of air sealing.

Bud
romeojk27 likes this.
romeojk27 (10-16-2018)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement