Do The Edges Of Window Casings Not Line Up The The Outside Trim? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-17-2017, 02:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 276

Do the edges of window casings not line up the the outside trim?

When you frame a wall and that wall has a door and windows you typically want the top of the window to line up with the door.

I was looking at different windows and the casing actually sits higher than the bottom edge of the top piece of outside trim. So if you want the window and door to line up you have to frame the rough opening of the window higher by however much higher the casing sits. Is that a standard measurement? I am looking at windows manufacturers and not seeing they publish that info. So how do people know how much to offset the rough opening so the window edge lines up with the top of the door edge?
wagoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2017, 02:10 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 1,292

Re: Do the edges of window casings not line up the the outside trim?

It is not an absolute, although it is easier to tell your crew to frame everything at 82 1/2". Generally if the window is a shorter window, you will possibly need a moderate view from it, so lowering it makes sense. Tall 54" windows are set with the doors on most occasions. If you are using the same trim molding it will be the same if all the windows and doors are set the same at the top.

If you are using brick mold on all the windows and doors, you can set all the header framing the same and just measure down from there for your vertical RO and it will all match. If you have vinyl windows and vinyl siding, it may not match the door perfectly, but it isn't a deal breaker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2017, 04:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,305

That info would be found within the architectural drawings of the window or door manufacturer, if available. You would need to understand that any jamb extension that is added onto a factory window jamb might add a small amount of variation to the detail. And that some windows may not come with a factory jamb.

Plus, depending on what you choose to install, not all door styles will automatically line up with one another. (I.E. hinged inswinging / hinged outswinging / slider)

Add to that, if you are thinking ahead regarding finished floor heights, you might want some doors to be installed higher than others. (If, for example, a room is getting a thick flagstone floor) It's all in the details. And it's good you are thinking about such things... but its pretty hard to foresee everything. That's usually what architects do on blueprints... and why they get paid the big bucks. That way the carpenters have plans and just have to follow them.
XSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 1,578

more often than not it ends up the other way around indirectly.... most doors are lower than the windows by about 1" or 1 1/.2".

depending on the size of the window you want them higher if its a large window as there are codes involving window sils being lower than 18" off of a finished floor.. in these instances you either have to install safety bars across the opening or upgrade to fixed tempered glass so that small children cant fall out hte opening.

99% of hte time if i have several windows that are close together to set them so the tops are all in line.. and other times where you might need the bottoms to line up becasue a continous window stool has to carry over from one to another

Last edited by woodworkbykirk; 06-17-2017 at 06:32 PM.
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #5

So how much higher is the top edge of the casing that goes in the wall than the top edge of the window / bottom edge of top trim piece? 1/2" generally?
Old 06-19-2017, 08:50 AM   #6

You are asking questions that aren't possible to answer definitively without mfg's specs. It also depends how wide the casing is that you will be using. The casing is the trim. It comes in various widths... and you didn't tell us what size casing you will be using. The jamb is the interior part of the door or window that the casing is nailed to. So if your casing happens to be 2 1/4" and your jamb is 5/8-3/4" thick it would "usually" protrude about 1 5/8" beyond the edge of a window frame on top, but generally less on bottom due to the thickness of the sill. A door with a 3/4" jamb would be exactly the same. But this is not an absolute because it also depends on the window jamb thickness and whether or not it is offset from the window edge.

Final casing location also depends on the door height. Some doors are 79" tall, some are 80" tall, some are 82" tall, some are 86" tall... that is also where some of the variation comes in.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSleeper View Post
You are asking questions that aren't possible to answer definitively without mfg's specs. It also depends how wide the casing is that you will be using. The casing is the trim. It comes in various widths... and you didn't tell us what size casing you will be using. The jamb is the interior part of the door or window that the casing is nailed to. So if your casing happens to be 2 1/4" and your jamb is 5/8-3/4" thick it would "usually" protrude about 1 5/8" beyond the edge of a window frame on top, but generally less on bottom due to the thickness of the sill. A door with a 3/4" jamb would be exactly the same. But this is not an absolute because it also depends on the window jamb thickness and whether or not it is offset from the window edge.

Final casing location also depends on the door height. Some doors are 79" tall, some are 80" tall, some are 82" tall, some are 86" tall... that is also where some of the variation comes in.
Well I guess I meant jamb then. But as far as the width.. I don't want to focus on that right now.

And my question was how do you know. So if there is a particular piece of information companies put out tell me what it is and I will gladly look it up. See, I am not looking for a specific set answer. I am also looking for a way to find the answer because it probably varies.

But that is my overall question.. I guess I should have said jam. I have seen that the jam is offset on a lot of windows. So you can't frame the rough opening like you do a door. Doors are easy. Just frame it either 3/4 bigger on all sides or an inch bigger on all side and you're good.

With windows, you have the edge of the window but you can't just frame it 3/4 inch bigger all around because the jam is offset and the bottom edge of the jam doesn't line up with the top edge of the window. If it did, you could do like a door and offset by 3/4 all around, but typically windows rough opening are the same size of the window.

So that's my confusion. If the jam (piece that slides into the rough opening) is offset how do you know how high up to start your rough opening so when it is all said an done it lines up with the door height.
Old 06-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #8

Quote:
And my question was how do you know.
I answered that a long time ago. Any window company worth it's salt will have on their website architectural drawings of their windows. You just have to look at the detail in their drawings, which is an illustration of a cross section of each side of the window frame.

Quote:
typically windows rough opening are the same size of the window.
What? Every window will tell you the exact size of the window and the rough opening will always be larger. It is NEVER "the same".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement