DIY Walk In Closet Build - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

DIY Walk in Closet build

I hope this is the right forum to post this...

I want to surprise my wife by giving her a walk in closet. The previous owner of this house had a secret panic room off the master bath. Kinda weird if you ask me. However, it is fairly large and I want to convert it into a closet for my wife for Christmas. Since it has a secret door right now, I will be able to hide it until almost being completely done.

Floor dimensions are 13.5'L x 10.5'W with a 6' ceiling that is 24" wide of 6' in the center and then slopes down to about 40" from the floor at the full width of 10.5' on both sides.

There would be room to add drawers or shelves past the 10.5'W on the bottom because the slant obviously keeps going and I could recess if needed as well.

The doorway will be in the dead center of the room about 28" wide.
I thought I could actually get 2 bars on each side, but then it would be harder to see the back row and I really have no clue on anything about closets and imagine she will want shelf space for shoes and what not so...

I just need someone creative or experience in closet design to help me maximize the space. The more I can get out of it the happier she will be. The sloped ceiling is the biggest reason I need the help.

I appreciate any and all help in this.

Thanks,
Don
bigdonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Residential Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

Wow, if you can pull this off we will require video of the look on her face on Christmas morning.
Please post pic's of what you have to work with.
rselectric1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,652

http://www.californiaclosets.com/
http://www.closetstogo.com/you-design-tutorial.html

For the second one, take the lowest point, while leaving about 12-16" at the top for a shelf, then input. If you measure a shirt from bottom edge to collar (add 12-16" from floor to bottom of shirt), that would give you an idea how to go with this. I would place pants on the bottom, and shirts & jackets on the top. As for shoes, maybe on the side with the door. As for an island in the middle, it would give her a place to put socks, scarves, etc, plus have a counter to lay out outfits on.

I would also look at maybe implementing a safe into the center island design to allow you to hide valuables in the room.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2009, 05:59 AM   #4

When I get home after work today I will take a couple pics and post them so you can see exactly what I have to work with.

Don
Old 10-27-2009, 05:50 PM   #5

Ok I took a couple pics and hope they shed a little light on exactly what I have.

http://www.rarossne.com/1.jpg

http://www.rarossne.com/2.jpg

http://www.rarossne.com/3.jpg

Its hard to take the pics from the door as it is a hatch style door that is hidden in the wall LOL, but hopefully you get the idea.

Also, I really want to implement an ironing station or something as I think she will fall over for that or if anyone thinks those steam things are worth it I could look into that as well.

Whats killing me is how to layout everything. I lack creativity in this environment, but I am really handy with tools. I want to build shelves and anything I need out of wood and paint them white or get the laminated wood with the white coating on it.

I hope you can give me some really good layout ideas so I can start gathering materials.

I will try the design tutorial thing, but I have problems because none of them I tried makes suggestions and or doesn't work with such a slope.

Thanks again,
Don
Old 10-27-2009, 05:52 PM   #6

The easy stuff is the electrical and lighting for me. LOL

I will counter sink a bunch of lights down the center and then maybe even a few directional countersinks on the slant to add a little more light if I need it. Actually, maybe even a little light behind the clothes to make them easier to see.

Wow, I can' get creative in that area, but am lost on the shelves,shoe racks,bars, etc...

Don
Old 10-27-2009, 06:15 PM   #7
Wire Chewer

Rewards Points: 586

Wow that is pretty cool. I've always thought it would be neat to have an attic that is livable space (guessing that is the attic by the look of the walls).
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #8

Actually that is off the second floor of a colonial. The reason it is sloped is that the previous owner built a sunroom below it on the first floor and used it as a hidden room for whatever reason. It is off the back of the house. The attic is actually pretty big, but no easy access(drop down stairs) and we really don't need anymore room anyway(4 br).
Old 10-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 6,652

Think of it like stacking boxes. You can look at the full wall between the slopes as 3 boxes on the bottom, and 1 on the top. As for the sides, cabinets with drawers, and on either side of the cabinets, places to hang pants & slacks. Shirts on the full wall at the top "box", with shoes on the sides. Get a hold of some graph paper, or use the links I posted to see if they help. Also, Google has a really good 3d drawing program.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 12:44 PM   #10

Are they both sloped? Same angle?

If so, maybe you can put a dresser on one side and her shoes on the other side?

If not, you can put her shoes on the side with the steepest angle and you can put a place to hang her clothes on the other side?

I can probably think of better ideas but I need to see the place better.

Good luck!
AmericaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:07 AM   #11

Well its been a little while and I have been planning and am about to start going on this. I found google sketchup and let me say it is absolutley amazing. I should have the basic design done in a day or so and I'll post the sketch pucture here so I can get some feedback from all of you. Google sketchup is free and was very easy for me to figure out using the help and wait till you see the picture. It almost looks real.

Don
Old 11-12-2009, 06:23 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Melamine

You can buy stuff called melamine in the organization section of the box stores. It comes in different widths from 6" to 24", and lengths from 24" to 96". It is MDF coated on three sides with laminate, and you just cut it to length. You can either use it as shelves mounted on the adjustable tracks on the wall, or you can use it for verticals as well as horizontals, and nail/screw it all together, for a more permanent, built in look. Very easy to work with.
CustomBuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement