Did I Screw Up REALLY Badly? - Building & Construction - Page 2 - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 10:42 AM   #16
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 10
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
"mostly for looks but also the land on one side of the patio grades up considerably and we were worried about mudslides and dirt in general when it rains." ---- and you should be.... unless you installed weep holes (or tubing) to let the capillary pressure out or divert it with drainage tile to another area. The water will take the path of least resistance, possibly under the wall as there is no drainage plane, cutting troughs in the dirt. It all depends on how much water, wait and see. Think positive! You probably won't have any water... Then just rebuild it and chalk it up as a learning experience you can write about to help others on forums such as this. lol. Next time I bet you research more... We have a whole "showcase of projects" here, that members can get continuous help (whether they want it or not) with, sometimes yelling back- "YA THINK". So I'm just saying, if you post a project or tell a story-- expect critisism, especially if you are doing something wrong or unsafe.

Be safe, Gary
Thanks Gary, I have no problems with getting criticism; if I thought I had done everything correctly, I wouldn't be here! Having said that, I am not interested in being insulted or told how stupid I am, etc etc etc. It is a learning experience and I won't make the same mistake twice.

As for the wall - I should make it clear that it's not 'holding back/retaining' any dirt or mulch - it's just a simple matter of when it rains, some of the mulch/dirt winds up on the patio due to the slope, and it just makes it messy. The wall isn't holding any kind of dirt that would be considered a load. So for the most part, it's completely decorative. The entire patio is pitched towards my yard for drainage; I was thinking of leaving tiny 'gaps' between a few blocks at the lowest part of the patio to allow for some drainage.
gbrice75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #17
DIY Hack
 
Mr Chips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 1,306
Rewards Points: 506
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
We have a whole "showcase of projects" here, that members can get continuous help (whether they want it or not) with, sometimes yelling back- "YA THINK". So I'm just saying, if you post a project or tell a story-- expect critisism, especially if you are doing something wrong or unsafe.
I don't know Gary, there is being critical, and there is being obnoxious. Sometimes I read some of the responses here ( the forum in general, not so much this thread) and can't help but wonder how many people don't ask questions for fear they will simply be "yelled at" and ridiculed from our collection of "experts". I think it's perfectly fair to explain to someone what they did wrong, but all too often I read posts that offer no answers, and simply seem like cheap shots, especially when the OP already knows he messed up.

Don't get me wrong, I am in NO WAY trying to imply that you are one of these nay-sayers. I have the upmost respect for your knowledge and willingness to help anyone and everyone, and you are one of the people that keep me coming back
__________________
Those who can, do...
Those who can't criticize on the internet
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default


I don't have any weep holes or anything else in the wall
Its not backfilled with gravel...just the local dirt
If a permanent wall I would probably install a drainage pipe
Sometimes people jump to conclusions or point out the extreme obvious

There was one guy that put lean-to additionon w/sloped roof
Some issues he wanted advice on & people were going over his work (pics)
Looked like he built it with 2x4's but actually had premade trusses
Pictures do not show everything
One problem is some people do not post actual advice
Instead they provide links that leave it up to the OP to try to decipher
In some cases the links do not work or point to the wrong location
In other cases the links on the sites are changed
When in most cases the OP does not know enough to decipher the info



Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Boston, MA
Posts: 17,248
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
I don't know Gary, there is being critical, and there is being obnoxious. Sometimes I read some of the responses here ( the forum in general, not so much this thread) and can't help but wonder how many people don't ask questions for fear they will simply be "yelled at" and ridiculed from our collection of "experts". I think it's perfectly fair to explain to someone what they did wrong, but all too often I read posts that offer no answers, and simply seem like cheap shots, especially when the OP already knows he messed up.
There is a recent user who requested their account be deleted as a result of some of the replies they received
That doesn't happen that often
Usually they just do not come back to the site



Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 01:25 PM   #20
DIY Hack
 
Mr Chips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Location, Location
Posts: 1,306
Rewards Points: 506
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
There is a recent user who requested their account be deleted as a result of some of the replies they received
That doesn't happen that often
Usually they just do not come back to the site

I saw that , seemed like a nice guy who had the makings of a helpful member

I didn't know why he was asking to have his account deleted, but maybe i should go read his threads again since i replied to a few!!
__________________
Those who can, do...
Those who can't criticize on the internet
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: leesburg, fl
Posts: 6,669
Rewards Points: 3,622
Default


' there is being critical, and there is being obnoxious ' whew, there for a moment thought you were thinking of moi

hey, op - you're in jersey,,, don't worry about too much frost unless you're up in sparta,,, life's a constant learning process, anyway, unless you're in paterson for some reason those guys never learn
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:27 PM   #22
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 9
Rewards Points: 10
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
hey, op - you're in jersey,,, don't worry about too much frost unless you're up in sparta,,, life's a constant learning process, anyway, unless you're in paterson for some reason those guys never learn
LoL thanks, i'm in Middletown so hopefully i'll be ok. Definitely not north.
gbrice75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do screw heads really need to be mudded with three coats? KUIPORNG Remodeling 33 09-17-2011 01:54 AM
Stuck Screw IceTreay General DIY Discussions 11 09-09-2010 01:56 PM
Swapping old 3ways with new (different screw color configuration on new switch) Michblaze02 Electrical 10 11-08-2009 02:17 PM
Can't get set screw in TP holder loose janralix Plumbing 4 08-12-2009 10:47 PM
Sheared head on Tapcon screw - how to remove? mkuether Remodeling 9 12-04-2008 08:18 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts