Determining Strength Of Slab/footing - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:54 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 131

Determining Strength of slab/footing

I am purchasing a home in FL which is built on a slab. It is a single floor home with a small 21' x 22' garage. I'm interested in building a second floor above the garage for additional storage space.

I'm assuming there are footings poured under the perimeter of the slab??? The house was built in 1984 and is of concrete block construction.

How can I (and/or a structural engineer) determine if the existing concrete structure is adequate to support the load of the second floor addition?

TIA.

Tipsy

Last edited by TipsyMcStagger; 03-03-2010 at 09:38 AM.
TipsyMcStagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 01:00 AM   #2

Anyone???

Tipsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 03:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 708

Get your shovel working and dig out to inspect the slab profile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2010, 04:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,802

the same way any engineer'd do it - have several holes dug alongside the footer for visual inspection,,, IF you need further proof than just an opinion, take cores & send 'em to a lab for compressive strength testing,,, fill holes & resod

how much weight're you planning on storing up there, anyways ? NEVER assume ! those guys got paid & they're GONE ! ! ! ! ! !
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 09:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
how much weight're you planning on storing up there, anyways ? NEVER assume ! those guys got paid & they're GONE ! ! ! ! ! !
I couldn't even venture to guess at how much weight will be stored upstairs.

Most homes in FL don't have a basement and I prefer my garage to be utilized for workbenches and vehicles...not empty boxes and extra toilet paper. I'd rather build a space above the garage to store the clutter and keep my garage liberated for more meaningful projects.

I plan to have a proper design drawn up by an architect or structural engineer and I'll pull the necessary permits from the town. I'm just trying to get a feel for how much additional weight the existing footings are capable of supporting. And what would be required to strengthen them if they're deemed inadequate.

Tipsy
Old 03-07-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

I have inspected numerous residential buildings in the south that did not have footings. In some cases, they had a flat slab, in other cases a post tensioned slab, in other cases it was a turned down slab (slightly thickened at the edges). I would not assume that your garage has footings.

The engineer you hire to develop the plans will develop a plan to investigate the foundation, which will involve excavating several test pits adjacent to the foundation. I doubt that it will be necessary to take concrete cores, as the strength of the concrete is rarely the limiting factor in determining if the foundation is adequate for a second story, but that is the call of the engineer.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I have inspected numerous residential buildings in the south that did not have footings. In some cases, they had a flat slab, in other cases a post tensioned slab, in other cases it was a turned down slab (slightly thickened at the edges). I would not assume that your garage has footings.

The engineer you hire to develop the plans will develop a plan to investigate the foundation, which will involve excavating several test pits adjacent to the foundation. I doubt that it will be necessary to take concrete cores, as the strength of the concrete is rarely the limiting factor in determining if the foundation is adequate for a second story, but that is the call of the engineer.
Good to know. Thanks for the reply.

Tipsy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement