Deck Rebuild Advice - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2017, 06:00 PM  

Rewards Points: 4

deck rebuild advice

Hi, I have a multi-level deck that I am rebuilding. lower level is over an entrance to a small basement under an addition that is inaccessible from the house and previously had a metal bulkhead door that was removed. second level is 1 step up and is over another metal bulkhead that is still attached. I would like to lower upper level to match the lower deck. Problem is removing the bulkhead and still having access to the basement thru the deck for a rare situation such as removing a water tank or boiler. Anyone ever make a trap door or access door through a deck? The lower level has a trap door but it leaked. Dont want that issue in the full basement. Also, need opinions on fibron composite decking. Too many bad reviews of trex and fibron is a little more affordable. Thanks for the help, Jerry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2017, 08:53 PM  
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 190

Re: deck rebuild advice

Photos will be helpful (I think you need at least one post, but I'm never sure). By "bulkhead", do you mean some kind of vertical hatch? You mention that an existing deck hatch leaked - is your deck a tradition plank deck or some kind of solid waterproof surface.

A problem with hatches in a deck (I'm talking plank deck) is as the wood shrinks the various elements will shrink differently and the hatch lid ends up uneven and loose and a tripping/toe stubbing hazard. Do you want the hatches anchored down or just resting closed? There are also issued of hinges and lifting hardware being tripping hazards but there are probably a few options around that. If you want to be able to remove boilers and water tanks, how big are you envisioning. I have no clue if there might be Code issues with hatches.

No experience with Fibron. I have TimberTech and so far so good (only 2 years)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2017, 06:33 PM  

Rewards Points: 4

Ive decided not to lower the deck. way too much work. still going to build an access hatch over bulkhead doors and a small one over the opening without doors. Here is what im up against

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2017, 02:24 AM  

Rewards Points: 6

It looks nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement