Deck Nails Against Ledger - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2014, 11:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 416

Deck nails against ledger

I'm installing a deck, and I didn't specify what nails I wanted. Instead I gave the company my parts list saying

10 2x8's Pressure Treated 12feet long
20 galvanized joist hangers
Galvanized Nails for attaching joist hangers

To be delivered at this address. I ended up getting boxes of galvanized 10d nails 1 1/2" long and galvanized 3" long. When attaching the hangers to the ledger I used the 10d nails on the face and the 3" ones diagonally. Everywhere I see seems to say I needed to use 3 1/2" nails for both on the ledger and I can't understand the charts from Simpson wondering what kind of damage did I do if any. I figured since the 1 1/2" nails are the only ones I can use on the outside rim, they're the ones to use on the ledger and it won't penetrate my waterproofing. I used the 3" for the diagonals of the joist hanger.

Think I'm okay, or should I rip out all my ledger joist hangers and redo it. My joists are 12" o.c. and it's a small deck I could've gotten away with 2x6 but I used 2x8's. I'm wondering if what I did is allowable or should I rip it all out.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2014, 12:34 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,382

Supposed to be using real hanger nails except for the two set further back in the middle of the hanger where you should be using the 3" hot dipped galvanized.
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 416

I've done some more research, think I'm good.

I found some deck resellers saying it's the method you should do instead of using 3.5" nails as it maintains the waterproofing membrane as much as possible behind the ledger but your deck won't be able to hold as much weight. Also, stated by Simpson as an approved method at http://www.strongtie.com/products/co...s/lus-hus.asp#

With 2x carrying members, use 10d x
  • 1 1/2" nails into the header and 10d commons into the joist, reduce the load to 0.64 of the table value.
1 1/2" nails into the header the waterproofing membrane behind the ledger won't be pierced but the rated weight of the hanger is reduced to 64% (I'm well beyond rated as my joists are 12" o.c.) and 10d commons are 3" long.

I see now Simpson recommends 3" nails to go into the joists at an angle as a 3" nail set at a 45 degree angle started 1/2" back (as the double-shear holes are with Simpson strong ties) will penetrate just under 1.5" into the ledger so it won't penetrate out the back, yet penetrate the ledger as much as possible and will keep the waterproof membrane intact a 3.5" nail will stick 1/4" beyond and penetrate.

Last edited by Piedmont; 10-29-2014 at 03:42 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement