Deck With Joists Parallel To House - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck with Joists Parallel to House

Hi Everyone,

I am tearing down our existing deck and rebuilding a new one in it's place. It will be 28' long x 16' deep. Obviously, I cannot find 28' joists and am having a hard time figuring out how to build the joists. As of right now I will be using all 2x10 treated material.

There will be 4 support beams running perpendicular to the house each made of 2 sections of 2x10x8 doubled up. It's easier to see in the picture attached. I am then building the deck on top of these beams, which will each have 12" diameter by 48" deep footings.

The problem is that I can't have a single 28' joist, so what is the best way to build the frame on the top? 3 sections joined together above the support beams? For example, would I have 3 separate boxes, 2 of which would be 10'x16' and 1 at 8'x16'? And then join them together with the joints on top of the support beams? I tried to draw out a picture with measurements as best as I could.

Also, the doubled lines in the picture are the support beams.

Thanks for everyone's help in advance,

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Deck with Joists Parallel to House-deck_plans.jpg  
dsheldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #2
AHH, SPANS!!!

Rewards Points: 1,166

it's best to figure out what size beam you would need in the middle perpendicular to house and use 14' joists that go from the edges to meet at the the beam. you can either flush the beam to the top of joist system and use joist hangers for the joists or make the beam a dropped beam below the joists and set joists on beam splitting in middle of beam.
hand drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 08:33 AM   #3

Hi,

So you would suggest 3 beams perpendicular instead of 4 and have two sets of 14' joists then? I would probably have the beams underneath so I can have the overhang I was looking for.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
AHH, SPANS!!!

there is no need for a 4th beam IMO, and the deck will have to be built as a freestanding deck the way you have it drawn out- no good way to attach to house.
here is info on decks..
http://www.awc.org/Publications/DCA/DCA6/DCA6-09.pdf
Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #5

I've actually seen that document, so thanks for sending that along. Do you think 2x10's would be good enough support for a 14' span, or should I switch everything over to 2x12's? That's really the question I've been having a hard time with. Also, are 12" diameter holes 48" deep required for a deck like this?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #6

Sorry for all of the questions. Also, would I want to lie the beam on top of the support posts or notch the support posts?
Old 07-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #7
AHH, SPANS!!!

gotta get to work... all of your questions about spans/ joist/beam size etc.. can be found in that Doc. the size of footers depends on your location.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 780

Why not a 28" ledgerboard (2 14') fastened to the house, 16' joists attached to the ledgerboards with hangers perpendicular to the house, resting on a beam of 2 2"x10" running parallel to the house at about 12' out with the beam on 4-6 posts spread out evenly?

B
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:44 PM   #9

Thanks for the help...Since the deck is 28' I was trying to avoid seams in the decking material. Therefore, I was trying to use 16 footers perpendicular from the house for the decking.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:54 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsheldon View Post
Thanks for the help...Since the deck is 28' I was trying to avoid seams in the decking material. Therefore, I was trying to use 16 footers perpendicular from the house for the decking.
You can do a breaker board in the center to keep from having seams.

You can lay the decking at angles to avoid seams too, works better on a 13'10" deck since that's the length of a 20' board on a 45 angle with a little to trim off.

Seams aren't BAD we do them quite often on our higher end projects, when done right they're fine. I think 4 of the last 5 projects have had seams and they were all projects over $40,000.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
Haverhill Trade 1965

Rewards Points: 500

I assume you are talking about concrete tube footings. If so, we usually use 8" sonotubes with a round or square plastic footing form on the bottom. You get almost 4 sq ft of bearing instead of less than 1 sq ft with 12" diameter tubes. Probably with less concrete. Google Bigfoot or Tubebase.
Duckweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement