Deck Framing Around Hot Tub - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2016, 03:25 PM   #1
Want to Learn

Rewards Points: 157

deck framing around hot tub

Hey all,

I'm getting ready to start on my deck. I have my permit and my plans were approved. However they probably didn't realize where my circuit breaker was located because I just found out that it has to be 5 feet or more from the hot tub. That means I have to move my hot tub further from the house. Not a big deal but I'm rethinking the support piers now. The first picture shows my original framing plans with a couple piers and a beam near the hot tub. Are these really needed? Or can I do what is in the second picture where I just removed the piers and the beam and will use joist hangers to put a 2x10 between the long joists that connect the house to the far beam? Because if the hot tub didn't exist, I'd just use a 2x10 to span the whole distance from the house to the far beam. But now I have to basically cut out a square area and not sure how to do it. And not sure if those piers are necessary. Or do I have to now add an additional 2 piers so they're on both sides of the hot tub?

BTW, the span from the house ledger to the far beam is about 15' using a 2x10. It just seems that if I have to keep the piers in, they're all going to be so close to each other that it seems like I would be over engineering it.

Thanks for your help as always!

jonhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2016, 04:39 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Re: deck framing around hot tub

I am confused by your post. Did you do the original design for the deck? Presumably whoever designed the deck put the piers and beam where they are because the hot tub needs the support. Now you want to move the hot tub, so logically you need to redesign the framing to support the tub in the new location. If you did not design the deck, I suggest you go back to the original designer and ask them to redesign based on the new location of the tub. The load of a hot tub may be two or even three times the typical design load for a deck, hence they almost always need special supports.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2016, 04:44 PM   #3
Want to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
I am confused by your post. Did you do the original design for the deck? Presumably whoever designed the deck put the piers and beam where they are because the hot tub needs the support. Now you want to move the hot tub, so logically you need to redesign the framing to support the tub in the new location. If you did not design the deck, I suggest you go back to the original designer and ask them to redesign based on the new location of the tub. The load of a hot tub may be two or even three times the typical design load for a deck, hence they almost always need special supports.
I designed the deck. The hot tub isn't sitting on the deck so the piers aren't supporting the hot tub at all. I'm going to pour a concrete pad for the hot tub and it will sit on the ground and I will build the deck around it. So I'm just asking how you frame around it. The piers I have in the first picture are only supporting a beam and the beam only supports the joists sitting on it. Does that make sense? Or am I even more confusing now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2016, 04:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 906

When you say circuit breaker, I assume you mean one in a spa panel.

I would move the spa panel one way or the other until it is 5 feet or more from the hot tub. It should be easier/cheaper than moving the tub.
Oso954 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:57 PM   #5
Want to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso954 View Post
When you say circuit breaker, I assume you mean one in a spa panel.

I would move the spa panel one way or the other until it is 5 feet or more from the hot tub. It should be easier/cheaper than moving the tub.
I should clarify that nothing has been built yet. It's a new home with nothing but dirt in my back yard. I had the electrician put in the 50amp circuit breaker for the hot tub when he wired the home. So it's easy to move the hot tub location since it's all virtual at this point. I just need to know if I have to have pier supports surrounding the hot tub or can I just use joist hangers for the horizontal joists? I'm renting the auger this weekend and will be doing the holes for the piers so I need to know if I need the piers or not.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:02 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,668

. If you are removing the piers, you need at a minimum you need to double up the joists on each side around the hot tub and that should be a double header for the short joists. Max span for two bye ten is like 16' 6" or thereabouts. You have the auger, couple of extra piers is no big deal, maybe no more expensive than doubling the two bye tens. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 12:37 AM   #7
Want to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront02769 View Post
. If you are removing the piers, you need at a minimum you need to double up the joists on each side around the hot tub and that should be a double header for the short joists. Max span for two bye ten is like 16' 6" or thereabouts. You have the auger, couple of extra piers is no big deal, maybe no more expensive than doubling the two bye tens. Ron
Thanks Ron. That's what I was looking for. My only issue with the extra piers if I go that route is concrete. I'm on the verge of needing another yard of concrete if I do that which is about $150/yard I think. I'll have to do some calculations to see where I'm at with concrete requirements. But on the other hand if I remove the 2 piers I now have extra concrete along with extra lag bolts and brackets But at least I have some options to ponder. Thanks again!

Jon
Old 08-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #8
Want to Learn

Ron, do you think this would be okay than?

Old 08-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,668

Sorry, out at Habitat all day! So here is another thought. Just add ONE pier in the middle of the short header. Use up your concrete, very solid result. Ron
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 08:37 PM   #10
Want to Learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ront02769 View Post
Sorry, out at Habitat all day! So here is another thought. Just add ONE pier in the middle of the short header. Use up your concrete, very solid result. Ron
No problem. I help out with Habitat too. Lots of fun. Thanks for the idea!

Jon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement