Deck Footings Crumbling - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Daniel Holzman
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg
  • 1 Post By PandJ

Old 06-25-2016, 09:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

Deck footings crumbling

I have a few footings that are crumbling, just falls apart when I touch some of them. Where the 6x6 lays it is solid and I can not move it but all around it crumbles on some. It appears at the top of the footings only. I'd have to dig down to be sure. My question , is this normal? Should I be concerned? Is the best solution to add additional footing and 6x6s in-between the ones that worry me to give me peace of mind? I have have a porch roof on top of deck too so it's a lot of weight. I live in North Pennsylvania and the deck is about 15 years old. Bought house 2 years ago. I have attached pics of some.
Attached Thumbnails
Deck footings crumbling-img_20160625_095207683.jpg   Deck footings crumbling-img_20160625_095220844.jpg   Deck footings crumbling-img_20160625_095200381.jpg   Deck footings crumbling-img_20160625_095858269.jpg   Deck footings crumbling-img_20160625_100016887.jpg  

Deck footings crumbling-img_20160625_095903876.jpg  
geeiwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2016, 10:15 AM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

Re: Deck footings crumbling

Crumbling of concrete footings is not normal. It indicates inferior concrete, improper placement and curing, or both. Also, your posts do not appear to be connected to the footings using galvanized brackets, which is the most common way to connect a post to a footing. And some of your posts are well off center on the footings. You can correct each of these problems if you place new footings.

I recommend you place new footings to replace the bad ones (maybe all of them), and connect the posts to the footings using Simpson brackets or equivalent. You will need to temporarily support the deck above each footing while you replace the footing, and you will probably need to pull each footing and place a new footing. You may be able to pull the footing using a heavy duty truck with a cable attached to the footing, or you could demolish the footing with a demolition hammer. There is a chance the concrete below grade is OK, in which case you may be able to place new concrete above the good concrete using dowels to connect the two parts of the footing, but this may be just as much work as pulling the footing and placing a new one.
123pugsy, de-nagorg and SnowBirdVa like this.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #3

Ugh. is it easier to just leave the 2 or 3 that are bad and put additional footings near them? Dont care bout aesthetics of how it looks with a bunch of footings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2016, 11:35 AM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,188

Someone took the easy way on the original footings, and see where it got you.

Those need to go before the deck crashes into your house and does major damage.

PLEASE LISTEN TO DANIEL!

ED
123pugsy likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 07:34 PM   #5

Okay for some of the footings they should be another foot to the left to be even with the corner footings. Can I put a new footing and post within an inch or two of the old footing? Or recommended just to jack it up and remove the old one but would still put the new one a foot to the left to be even with corners but would have dirt next to it vs the old footing. Which makes sense?
Old 06-25-2016, 09:10 PM   #6
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,188

Now you're talking sense. Jack it up a little, probably an inch, then remove each failing footing, one at a time, and move them over to center them where they should be.

Reinstall them .

It looks like from your photos that there are no fasteners at the bottom or the tops of those 6X6, this needs to be rectified at this time too.

That deck looks to be "on it's last legs", .

So make it better.

ED
Msradell likes this.
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 310

I'm guessing someone actually used the no mix concrete mix...the kind you pour dry into a form or hole and add water. I hate that stuff as it does just this if not mixed properly and adequate water. I see the tv shows using all the time and it drives me crazy lol.
de-nagorg likes this.
PandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
decks , footings