Deck Flashing Leaking At The Corner - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2010, 10:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Deck Flashing Leaking at the Corner

If I spray water on the vinyl siding 10 inches above the corner of our deck, it is somehow getting behind the ledger and into the basement. It looks like it was flashed properly, but it is hard to tell with everything covered up. I've attached pictures of the deck surface and the top and bottom of the ledger. Because this in an inside corner, is there something special that they may have forget to do on the sealing of the two flashing parts that meet together in the corner (either above or below the ledger)? It could be rolling in under the bottom of the ledger, I haven't tried spraying in that area directly. I think I have to pull the vinyl off to really figure out what is going on, but it is 30 degrees out right now so the vinyl will be very brittle. Any thoughts or insight would be helpful. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Deck Flashing Leaking at the Corner-deck_top2.jpg   Deck Flashing Leaking at the Corner-deck_top_of_ledger2.jpg   Deck Flashing Leaking at the Corner-deck_bottom_ledger2.jpg  
MtnBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,002

inside corners can sometimes be a problem,one of the reasons being the j channel that runs along the deck boards can channel alot of water to it

your right about the cold making the vinyl brittle,it may be a good idea to wait till the temp moderates a little,one thing you may be able to do for now is to make sure the horizontal j channel has 3/8'' drain holes drilled every 16'' or so thru the bottom [don't drill thru the flashing] which will reduce the amount of water flowing into the corner
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Struble For This Useful Post:
MtnBiker (12-25-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement