Deck Beam Issue - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2018, 01:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 20

Deck Beam Issue

Hello all.

New member here from Pennsylvania. I'm in the process of building a new deck and wanted to check if anyone had some advice on something I've encountered. The beam I constructed is 3- 2x8's nailed together on a 6x6 post. This leaves a 1/2" space on each side when the beam is centered on the post. After placing all the joists on the beam I noticed the beam has rotated slightly. What I mean is if you're looking at a section view, the beam is not plumb up and down with the post. The top has shifted towards the house/ledger. I feel like over time this is going to create somewhat of a lateral force/moment on the post. Seeing how the post is only meant to resist axial force, I am slightly worried. Should I be concerned? And if so, how would I even go about correcting this issue? My first thought (and something I really don't want to do) would be to support/jack the joists and reset the beam. My other thought was to somehow "pull" the beam back to where it's perfectly straight over the post. Maybe use 1/2" spacers and have a board on each side of the post attached to the beam. I don't know if that would be enough force to pull the beam back upright with the joists already on top. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dave
dmd5013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #2
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

Re: Deck Beam Issue

Quote:
And if so, how would I even go about correcting this issue?
It would have been better to hang the beam between the post with joist hangers. Maybe you can use taller posts. Also, I wouldn't have used a ledger board. Freestanding is the way to go.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 540

Re: Deck Beam Issue

Some twisting is fine. 1/4-1/2"? Maybe the lumber was warped or started to warp when piecing together. Different angle is not going to put different thrust loads on the deck. It's just up and down. Beam's shape doesn't do much unless it was actually rolling, such as in the band joist. When rolling, means joists are failing, probably not the beam. But the angle could make the difference in height, when joists are sat on or flush with the beam. You may have to watch what happens there. Maybe dry fit and see if you have fairly flush joist top. See if you can shave the joist before, not after.
I bolt the beam pieces together and all joints supported by the posts if 3 pieces were what you needed.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement