Deck Attachments - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 114

Deck attachments

Working on my deck, and trying to increase the safety and meet most codes (gonna pretend I didn't read about the beam sizes). Had a couple of questions for the board:

1. I'll be replacing some old and adding some new guard rail posts. My county requires anchor hold downs. I found the Simpson tie ones which are about $8 at the box store. Are there other brands/types that can be used? I was surprised at the cost (I know, the rail is what prevents me and my family members from falling off the deck and getting seriously injured...but $8 each?!).

2. I will be replacing the rim joist on the front. Some rail posts were just connected to that, and the overhang is too big in one section, so there is sagging and rim joist pulling off. Code calls for a continuous rim joist, but the front of the deck is 30' wide. Are multiples OK? Do I just butt the up against each other? At a joist or between joists?

Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be having many questions as I dig deeper under my deck and into codes! (Which are surprisingly enjoyable)
bcemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement