Damp Problem With A Difference - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Damp Problem with a difference

Hi all

I've just bought a flat in an old flour mill whose walls are a barrier to a canal. There is damp on the inside wall from the floor to about 8" above the water level outside. It's beautiful but will obviously be a problem when it comes to decorating. The Walls are approx 18" thick brickwork and have been here for about 150 years. The brickwork is painted but not plastered, the bricks don't seem too moist but the cement? between them is loose to the touch. A stud wall that butts up to the brick is showing some tell tale signs of absorbing the water too. I can't drain the water so any ideas on how to address this problem?
I can provide pics if required

Thanks
Superkav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 582

As the property was built before 1875 its highly unlikely to have a DPC. Because the walls are next to a canal its quite likely to be suffering from rising damp. Its possible to have the walls chemically injected, but the inside would have to be sand/cement rendered with an added waterproofer/salt retarder.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 06:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,568

uncertain as to the definition of ' DPC ' but if its a dampproofing coating, i'd agree,,, i'd look for soil injection next to the wall w/bentonite slurry,,, this is more art than science, tho.
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 582

DPC is short for damp proof course. Its now a roll of plastic or similar that is put horizontally between 2 courses of bricks around the building about 6 inches above ground level to prevent rising damp. It used to be 2 courses of slate between the brickwork. Every property in the UK must have a DPC. I am guessing that the property is in the UK as he calls it a flat, and the brickwork is 18 inches thick. Our bricks are 9 inches long, whereas I think yours are 8 inches. Rising damp is usually only a problem in places with a very damp climate.
stuart45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement