Cutting A Window In Older Vinyl Siding - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

cutting a window in older vinyl siding

Hello folks - first time posting here.

I've got a house with older, smooth vinyl siding. The clapboards are about 8" wide, white. I'm remodeling the kitchen and need to change a few of the windows, and have bought new construction windows to do them.

Usually, this wouldn't be a big deal - you remove the claps with a little hook tool, frame the window from the inside, cut the sheathing, nail in the window, tape it, replace the siding and retrim.

But in this case the siding is something I haven't seen before. Each of the clapboards seems to be brad nailed on the underside every few inches. It's got me stumped. How do I get it off so that I can reuse it again? Is it possible? I've thought about setting a straight edge against the wall and cutting the siding that way and leaving it in place, but I can see a lot of problems with this approach.

Can anybody out there give me the skinny on how to work with this kind of siding?

Much obliged to all - Chris
chill123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,002

pics? nyou got it right,i don't know why it was nailed thru the butt,you will have to pull those brads and remove the siding as usual
Tom Struble is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement