Cracking - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-25-2010, 12:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

cracking

there is some cracks developing out of control joints. the concrete was colored and sealed already. when wet from rain or the hose, the cracks are much more noticeable and you can see them from 30 feet away. wen the sun comes out and dries everything you cant really tell they are there. as you can see they are hairline cracks. should i be concerned, is this normal and normal that they are much more visible when wet?
Attached Thumbnails
cracking-concretecrack1.jpg   cracking-concretecrack2.jpg  
amandalc04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

They are darker after it rains because the water soaks into the concrete under the sealer.
You can probably reseal over the cracks somehow.
The guys here should be able to tell you the best products to use and exactly how to do it to prevent freeze/cracking in the future.
I do not know where "sac" is..... so maybe it'll NEVER freeze?

DM
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 01:07 PM   #3

sacramento is in california. it gets freezing temps here in the winter about 30 degrees or so sometimes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
the Musigician

Welp, you'll want to reseal those cracks somehow then. Po)

The guys SHOULD be along shortly with suggestions as to what's best to use....after they finish that 12 pack. LOL

DM

Last edited by DangerMouse; 06-25-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Here I thought "South Atlantic City"....
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #5

i just wouldnt want to do to much too soon. more cracks could occur for all i know. this was finished about 3 months ago and sealed about a month ago
Old 06-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,602

sorry - its hot here & we were drinking beer - yes, its normal if the conc guy didn't install the correct contraction joint pattern,,, looks like they might be measuring .005 - they'll collect moisture &, eventually, more dirt,,, even have 1 in MY own driveway but can't put the blame anywhere else but on my shoulders since i wasn't here when the conc was placed or finished,,, my guy came back the next day to saw - shouldda been done the same day !

i don't notice any SAWED jnts, ONLY finishing tool jnts,,, not acceptable to us in our work but most finishers worry about finish & not proper jointing,,, live w/'em OR have those crk'd slabs replaced.

sorry - that's all 1 can do - even moi
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #7

the hairline cracks themselves arent a bother to me at this point since they are not noticeable..only after the concrete gets wet they are noticeable. there is rebar throughout, so maybe ill just wait 2 years until i need it resealed and he can add any color accordingly to hide anything
Old 06-25-2010, 02:49 PM   #8
the Musigician

In the meantime, freezing water will make the cracks bigger and more noticeable.
Hey itsreallyconc, couldn't she put parrafin wax filler or something on/in those cracks to seal it temporarily to not allow water to pass?
That'd help protect it somewhat, I'd think? No?

DM
Old 06-25-2010, 04:08 PM   #9

conc's a solid & reacts to temp changes same as liquids 'cept in the opposite direction,,, heat makes the slabs expand & cold makes 'em shrink,,, the crks're now acting as jnts,,, expand & contract - grind against each other - spall the conc,,, just live w/'em - nothing else to do.

we have the same trouble here in atl - hot in the sun ( 100f ) & cool at nite ( 70f ) its not just freezing temps that distress conc,,, anything will show - ANYTHING ! just dumping conc & screeding is only the beginning of a good job 'cept most don't know it all

rebar in a sidewalk ? ? ? certainly won't help unless you're spanning a void,,, even aci doesn't recommend steel OR wire mesh in 4" thick conc,,, most h/o's think ' steel ' - how much more is it ? ' nothing ! ' ' good - i'll have it ! '

as moses said when offered the 10 commandments,,, ' how much ? '
' free ! '
' good - we'll take 10 ! ! ! '

Last edited by stadry; 06-25-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #10
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalc04 View Post
there is some cracks developing out of control joints. the concrete was colored and sealed already. when wet from rain or the hose, the cracks are much more noticeable and you can see them from 30 feet away. wen the sun comes out and dries everything you cant really tell they are there. as you can see they are hairline cracks.

should i be concerned,

I wouldn't be so much worried as upset or angry.

is this normal

No.

and normal that they are much more visible when wet?
Yes.

I'd take this one as a leason in saving money. I've read & followed your posts in the past, & feel like you got taken for a ride by being blinded by the "low price". I'm sorry to put it that way, but when you asked the question a while back on whether you got a good deal or not, it's now apparrent that there was no VALUE in that price, just a cheap job.

As for the control joints, there's nothing wrong IMO with properly installed "tooled" joints. They are put in earlier than any saw will achieve, and can be done successfully. The problem from what I can see is that the aspect ratio is wrong, meaning it exceeds 1.5 : 1 from a length vs. width prospective. If your installer was experienced, he would know this.

For a cure, I'd leave it alone, unless you can get the contractor to respond to the problem. I would imagine this guy probably won't return your phone calls though........
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:33 PM   #11

he'd return any call and im not knocking your experience, but there are million dollar jobs done all over here and yes there are cracks there too. maybe they should get you on those jobs?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:49 AM   #12
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalc04 View Post
he'd return any call and im not knocking your experience, but there are million dollar jobs done all over here and yes there are cracks there too. maybe they should get you on those jobs?
Then, what was his response or cure for the problem?

Maybe it's acceptable for cracks outside of the controls joints there in new concrete, but it doesn't generally pass here with my customers. Controlling cracks is fairly easy and predictable for anyone that's been installing concrete for any length of time, at least for the first year or two. If they really don't bother you, I'd suggest leavign them alone at this point. Most anything (short of replacment) is going to draw more attention to the troubled are IMO.

Good luck.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:07 AM   #13

some cracking is acceptable per aci, arch, & engineers,,, however, that's not applicable to your work,,, there's no excuse for them !

if you can live w/'em, leave 'em alone,,, you'll probably have plenty of time to reconsider in the future,,, jo's right !
Old 06-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #14

ya on second thought maybe they give it character..as aged trees do for a neighborhood : )
Old 06-26-2010, 06:29 PM   #15
the Musigician

You could always paint it green and pretend it's grass.....

DM
Advertisement