Covering An Off-center Medicine Cabinet With Larger On-center Mirror - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 34

Covering an off-center medicine cabinet with larger on-center mirror

This is for a utility bathroom, see photo. Medicine cabinet presently in there is off-center. Not sure yet if the stud bay is dictating this or not (you can see a stud exposed several inches to right). New vanity will be same exact size.

My idea: while I could get a new cabinet & reframe for it, what if instead I left the shelving of the existing cabinet intact, removed its mirror door and then SOMEHOW added a larger mirror to the wall that is hinged to open. This medicine cabinet won't get much use. So I end up with a centered mirror while underlying is offset. Kind of kludgey I know. How do I hinged a framed mirror like that -- seems like a lot of torque on the hinges.

The light fixture will need some re-centering too but that will be for another thread if warranted.

(Sorry I forgot to comb my hair.)
Attached Thumbnails
Covering an off-center medicine cabinet with larger on-center mirror-offsetmedicinecabinet.jpg  
Tripp Knightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2016, 08:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,466

Re: Covering an off-center medicine cabinet with larger on-center mirror

I'll pass and let designers answer serious questions.

But your hair looks a hellofah lot better than the guy a few years ago that was selling silverware on e-bay and taking the pictures while in his jocky shorts. About 32 reflections and I was ROTF LMAO so I couldn't give mouth to mouth to the wife at that moment and she sure needed it.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2016, 09:41 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 2,414

Most medicine cabinets have a hinge known as a PIANO hinge,

just mount that hinge to a solid point(stud), and you are good to go.

P.S. thanks for having your pants on.

ED
de-nagorg is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2016, 11:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,812

You have already torn up all the drywall so you have nothing to loose by removing the vanity and toilet, removing the drywall, and reframing that opening, rewiring the light and outlet so where there where they belong.
Going to spend more time trying to fix all those holes then finishing one sheet of drywall.
Msradell (03-20-2016), oh'mike (03-20-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement