Cost Estimate Take-Off Sheet - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 06:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cost Estimate Take-Off Sheet

Hi

Would anyone have a spreadsheet listing all the subs and costs (permits, waste removal, site services, drywall, painting etc. etc.) that they could suggest for us. We are building our own home and will be the general contractor.

Thanks very much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 12:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Those numbers vary with the weather. Nothing is standard. Nothing.

Your specific location, credit, vulnerability, frugality, choice of subcontractors and suppliers, and a hundred other variables will greatly affect those numbers. Your building permit price, sewer permit, utility hookups, and similar requirements vary from city to city and utility to utility.

If you're looking to form very loose budget numbers your best bet is to get a copy of RS Means Residential Building Cost Construction Data at a local bookstore. That'll get you in the neighborhood of a square foot cost, give or take at least several percent.

There are a lot of good books on DIY homebuilding and many of them will have formatted sheets you could mimic on a spreadsheet to track these sort of things.

The only accurate way to determine these costs is to get bids from subcontractors and suppliers. Then add 10-20% for the inevitable overruns that build-it-yourselfers inevitably tend to experience. In my experience, very few people end up saving a dime when contracting their own homes as opposed to paying a professional builder to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 06:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

It seems to me that the mere act of asking for this kind of information gives precedent for the need to hire a qualified and established builder. If for nothing more than a consultant role.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 08:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

I've been involved in construction previously. Jeez... all i was asking for was a blank template, rather than creating my own. I'm not stupid enough to ask for $$ amounts. You guys certainly aren't very friendly... Not my board...

Over and OUT!!!!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:41 AM   #5
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
all i was asking for was a blank template, rather than creating my own.
Ayuh,... Sorry you're having a Bad time here,...
But,...
You made No mention of this in your first post...

There's No mindreaders here,... If you don't state something, We don't know what you're Thinking...
Old 12-15-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamurray49 View Post
I've been involved in construction previously. Jeez... all i was asking for was a blank template, rather than creating my own. I'm not stupid enough to ask for $$ amounts. You guys certainly aren't very friendly... Not my board...

Over and OUT!!!!
Wow! You ask a question, get one spot on answer and one you think is rude, and therefore this forum is somehow at fault? Please bear in mind, when you post on a public forum, you can expect to get answers and opinions from anyone, anywhere. Most of our regular members here are courteous and helpful always, however, everyone is entitled to their own opinions and said opinions may or may not be the answer you desire. I believe KCTermite has answered your question the best so far. Please don't let one perceived negative comment keep you from the best answer forum out there. Po)

DM
Old 12-16-2010, 12:02 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 994

Quote:

Over and OUT!!!!

I was going to reply, but I think all of you unfriendly folks ran him off.

Termiteguy, nice to see you back. How's the parenting job going?
Old 12-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Hi

Would anyone have a spreadsheet listing all the subs and costs (permits, waste removal, site services, drywall, painting etc. etc.) that they could suggest for us. We are building our own home and will be the general contractor.

Thanks very much.
Sorry guys but you did attack this guy. He asked a simple question and then the unfriendly responses happened. I know this is not going to be a popular response but I could not help myself. A home owner wants to be the general contractor and was simply looking for a check list of the steps in the building process. When he or she used the word costs I think it was a misunderstanding.
Old 12-16-2010, 01:07 AM   #9

Ask for a spreadsheet listing homebuilding costs and you're going to get some advice out of me every time. That doesn't make me anti DIYer, not at all. But my advice is rock solid and it is based on having seen people blow their "budget" out of the water many, many times. I thought the OP was looking for a spreadsheet showing costs based on the way the question was asked. I was trying to help, sorry you chose not to take it that way.

JAMurray, in the future ask your question in a way that actually communicates what you want from us.

Closing this thread before it becomes grossly unproductive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread