Cool Draft - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cool draft

My wife and I just purchased a home and I was uninstalling a fan in one of the second floor bedrooms. I felt a cool draft coming from the electrical unit. Is this a problem? Do we have insulation issues?
AMWski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 11:48 PM   #2
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,420

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWski View Post
My wife and I just purchased a home and I was uninstalling a fan in one of the second floor bedrooms. I felt a cool draft coming from the electrical unit. Is this a problem? Do we have insulation issues?
What do you mean by "electrical unit"? And are you talking about a ceiling fan being taken down?

Thanks.
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 11:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHicks
What do you mean by "electrical unit"? And are you talking about a ceiling fan being taken down?

Thanks.
The area where the fan attaches to the ceiling.
AMWski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
A Little Of Everything

Rewards Points: 1,420

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMWski View Post
The area where the fan attaches to the ceiling.
Gotcha, thanks.

If you have cold air coming in through your electrical junction box you probably don't have very good insulation. Or at least it's not installed properly around the box.

Can you get up into your attic and look things over? Check the depth of your insulation?
DrHicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:57 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,178

While you are at it, air seal the hell out of that box, and any other penetrations into the attic that you can get to. Don't rely solely on the insulation, esp if it is fiberglass batts. If you do have batts only, consider pumping some cellulose over top of it; that will improve the behavior of the 'glass a lot, plus add it's own help. j
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:53 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,652

Draft coming through junction boxes, means that there is not enough installation above it. Seal the gap with low density foam (blue can), either from above in the attic, or below. Then get some more installation into the attic space. My guess is, that either min. amount was used up there, or it got pushed away, and never placed back. The links for Building Sciences, explains how to effectively seal the conditioned space, from the attic space. It should be at a difference of 10-15 degrees up in the attic, than what it is outside in the Winter time. If you are in the Snow Belt, or in the South, were it has been cold enough to put frost up on the roof in the morning, you can usually tell if the attic space is under-insulated, by snow quickly melting off, or the rafters showing through the frost on the roof.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement