Construction Dust - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2009, 12:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

construction dust

We are renovating and I have a question about the range. It is out of the box and sitting in the garage. All the dust from the molding cutting is all over it. Do I need to vacuum out the little vents on the sides and back before it is installed? I am concerned that when the stove gets hot all that dust will smell or burn or who knows what. Thank you for helping with this problem.
cathylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 6,290

first, you should have covered the stove either with the shipping box or plastic sheeting to prevent dust intrusion.

then, YES, you need to vacuum absolutely every place you can get to and if you have an air compressor, you need to blow out every place you can get to.

Molding, like in wood? Like in flammable?

Obviously if there is any flammable dust in an area that is exposed to enough heat, it will ignite and then you have an uncontrolled fire.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,016

Agreed - vacuum and blow everywhere you can get to and into.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #4

I will take your advise and thank you so much. This renovation is costing a fortune but I guess it comes with the territory.
Old 12-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 526

Talk to the boss about this employee and ask if you can charge for your labor.... This is unacceptable. The lead on the job should know better, or at least the owner of the company. Put this on the final questionnaire or his web site for referrals if he doesn't apologize and compensate by cleaning it or ? Be aware what it is cleaned with could leave scratches, look closely afterward.
Be safe, Gary
Old 12-21-2009, 07:07 AM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Talk to the boss about this employee and ask if you can charge for your labor.... This is unacceptable. The lead on the job should know better, or at least the owner of the company. Put this on the final questionnaire or his web site for referrals if he doesn't apologize and compensate by cleaning it or ? Be aware what it is cleaned with could leave scratches, look closely afterward.
Be safe, Gary
Gary, You're assuming there is a contractor and that he is the one who unpacked the range.........
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

whoever unpacked the range gets the heat, thats unacceptable if this is a large renovation with lead people she needs to start at the top of food chain. I highly recommend you take pics of stove and work area with cut station before you touch anything. would also call manufacturer on how best to clean this without damage. is it a gas range? might clean itself if all the dust ignites
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 07:48 AM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpolk View Post
might clean itself if all the dust ignites
Shouldn't laugh. I would definitely take a vacuum and compressed air, each with some power, to every inch of it before touching it with any thing damp or liquid. I have a little kit they sell in sewing and computer stores that is like a mini vacuum cleaner attachment set that hooks on to regular ones. It might come in handy for getting at small spaces and things like the pilots, etc. And hope the gas inlet hose was at least still capped?

Serves no purpose to beat anybody up for forgetting to cover the thing or taking it out of the package in the first place at this point.

However, if the contractor did this? I would express disappointment and let him fire up all the burners and oven the first time. While you wait in the front or backyard.

You may also have a violated warranty issue at this point too.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 02:00 PM   #9

Oh, my, I seem to have gotten myself in trouble with this one. It was a floor model and did not come with a box, only as is. Butttt, the owner of the building company (general contractor) said he would clean it himself and that all appliances would be clean and free of dust. He was also the one doing all the molding cuts just outside the garage door with the door up. It's not gas so I am thinking I may just pull it out myself after he leaves and take a good look. He did, however, manage to get all 6 of my appliances out of the appliance store on the day they went out of business!!!! We were out of town so we would have been "you-know-what-ed". It seems they would have told us to take them right away when we bought them but I guess they...
Old 12-21-2009, 02:09 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,000

sounds like he is looking after you which is a huge plus. 1mil plasti 9x12 painter tarps are cheap and great for preventing stuff like this, any hardware/box store will have them.

Last edited by tpolk; 12-21-2009 at 02:12 PM.
tpolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement