Connect Glulam Beam End To End - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2014, 11:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Connect Glulam Beam End to End

I can't find a column cap that will connect two glulam beams end to end. Something like the Simpson CQQ. I read somewhere that the CQQ was not recommended to be used for two beams end to end.
Any suggestions will be appreciated, thank you.
DM007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 12:20 AM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 528

Don't know your application/specs, but you might have to have it designed/engineered and custom made/welded.
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 06:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,230

Checked on the web site of the company that made the Glulam?
Often times there's a ton of install directions and suggested fasteners.
More details on exactly what your trying to build may be helpful.
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 07:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by DM007 View Post
I can't find a column cap that will connect two glulam beams end to end. Something like the Simpson CQQ. I read somewhere that the CQQ was not recommended to be used for two beams end to end.
Any suggestions will be appreciated, thank you.
Assuming you mean CCQ where do you see that you can't splice a beam on it?
Old 07-02-2014, 11:01 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

You're right is CCQ. I read it somewhere online can't remember. But do you know if you can connect two beams end to end on a CCQ? I want to try and use the same 6x6 post for a span on one side of 25' and the other side of 17'. The other ends of both beams will be resting on a bearing wall, more less it looks like a "T" with a bearing wall on each end, thanks.
DM007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Well... It very well may fit..... but it is still an engineering issue...
Old 07-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 17,392

My second story would appear to be very similar to what you are describing....I have two PSL beams joined in the middle with a Simpson connector and 4x4 post. My drawings do not actually call out the Simpson connector in this area....but it did for the ends....EPC

What I used in the middle was not supper critical due to shear forces being handled by the roof sheathing and straps. Being the OCD person I am, I went pretty beefy....and I still have an MST-37 across the top holding the two beams together.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddawg16 For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 5,246

The critical question in designing a method of connecting two glulam beams is the force that must be transmitted across the beams. The potential force across two beams joined end to end could include torsion (twisting), shear (both vertical and horizontal), and moment (bending). The required method of attachment depends entirely on which of these forces needs to be resisted, and the magnitude of the forces.

In standard framing, the joining techniques are usually spelled out in the building code, so you can be pretty certain that if you follow the code, you are going to achieve satisfactory results. In your case, there is not going to be a code section that details the connection, so you are going to need an engineer or architect to design the connection for you, based on the actual loads the connection needs to resist.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daniel Holzman For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (07-02-2014), MTN REMODEL LLC (07-02-2014)
Old 07-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #9
Remodel and New Build GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
The critical question in designing a method of connecting two glulam beams is the force that must be transmitted across the beams. The potential force across two beams joined end to end could include torsion (twisting), shear (both vertical and horizontal), and moment (bending). The required method of attachment depends entirely on which of these forces needs to be resisted, and the magnitude of the forces.

In standard framing, the joining techniques are usually spelled out in the building code, so you can be pretty certain that if you follow the code, you are going to achieve satisfactory results. In your case, there is not going to be a code section that details the connection, so you are going to need an engineer or architect to design the connection for you, based on the actual loads the connection needs to resist.
Thanks Dan...

(Ya mean you can't just toenail them together)

Best
Old 07-02-2014, 02:15 PM   #10
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 17,392

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTN REMODEL LLC View Post
Thanks Dan...

(Ya mean you can't just toenail them together)

Best
I guess duct tape is out of the question as well?

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:55 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,718

would baling wire work ?

irc
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
clumns , glulam , post