Concrete Porch Poured Over Wood Siding - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2017, 09:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 394

Concrete porch poured over wood siding

So previous owners poured a porch pretty much right over the wood siding. I'm in the process of residing the house and about to get to that area. There is maybe a 1/4 inch gap between porch and siding covering the sill plate, so no way to get in there. I plan to leave the siding in place, really nothing I can do about it other than tearing off about a foot of concrete, but wonder if I should do something about waterproofing or at least pour some termicide in there.
Dixon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2017, 08:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,118

Re: Concrete porch poured over wood siding

Post a picture so we can see what your seeing please.
Is there a roof over that area?
From my time working on older homes as both an exterminator and contractor your right to be concerned about this issue, just the way your suggesting addressing the issue will be of little good.
To do it right you would need to be drilling into the slab and into the voids in the block from under the house (if the foundation is a crawl space) and injecting termiticide under pressure.
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2017, 11:03 AM   #3

Here're some pictures. There is roof over it. The house is early 1900's construction with minimal mods and repairs. Had a termite infestation some time ago so a number of floor joists been sistered, as I understand at least not up to today's standards, some sill plates been replaced. In retrospect, had I known better wouldn't have bought the house, but as first time homebuyer made the mistake of hiring inspector recommended by my realtor. As it is,pretty sure he was working for my realtor and not me, and assured me that all was good, just need to patch up a few minor things. As I started fixing this and that, found out a gazillion issues that should've been easily noticed by an inspector, including the shoddy termite damage repairs. No records from previous owners about any of it, I guess it was done before their time. The foundation is cellar-type basement + crawl space, brick walls.

My big concern is the house next door that's clearly not maintained--there is moss all over the vinyl siding, plants growing in clogged gutters, and you can only imagine what's there underneath. And I wouldn't want anything from there spreading over at least so far as I own the house.
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete porch poured over wood siding-img_1408.jpg   Concrete porch poured over wood siding-img_1409.jpg   Concrete porch poured over wood siding-img_1410.jpg   Concrete porch poured over wood siding-img_1411.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 18,118

#1, What's going on next door should have no effect on what happens to yours.
#2, If I had of seen old termite damage I would have asked if there had been a real termite treatment done on the whole house, not some DIY spot treatment or those waste of money Sentricon bait stations.
What type siding are you using?
Post a picture of how your doing the new siding, to do it right the storm windows needed to come off, trim around the windows and door needed to be padded out with 1 X's on the trim and a ripped 2 X 4 on the sill then wrapped with coil stock making sure to add at least a 2" flange on the outside.
If that was mine I'd be adding a strip of at least 1 X 4 PVC set in a bed of Big Stretch caulking where that patio meets the wall, a strip of Z molding then J molding before siding.
If your using Hardie siding skip the J mold and use a kick out strip before the siding.
Dixon12 (03-06-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #5

I'm doing vinyl on the siding. About half way done. The old wood windows been replaced with new with nailing hems and built in j channels, flashed all around (except the bottom). Some of the newer windows, where I haven't resided yet been professionally replaced with replacement windows and wrapped with aluminum, although they didn't flange it out enough. Probably didn't think it was necessary with a ton of holes in the original wood siding. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.

Regarding the termite treatment, inspector claimed that there are signs it was done professionally, although he said they drilled the holes to inject termicides irregularly. When I been looking at it, I couldn't see any evidence of holes drilled into the foundation, so hard to say what he was talking about. Other than that, on the portion of the house that I did reside, I didn't see any signs of an infestation, and I poked all over.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:39 PM   #6

Here're some pictures. New siding with window replaced, and windows I'll be dealing with starting this weekend. The windows in the second picture been replaced, but I still have to figure out how to redo the trim before new siding can go on.

Also, what kind of equipment/pump would you use to inject termicide under the foundation? I bought some generic termidor thinking I'd trench around the house and pour it. Some YT videos show people drilling into concrete slabs and pouring termidor solution through a funnel, but I gather that's not the right way to do it?
Attached Thumbnails
Concrete porch poured over wood siding-img_1416.jpg   Concrete porch poured over wood siding-img_1418.jpg  

Last edited by Dixon12; 03-07-2017 at 07:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement