Concrete Driveway Base Needed? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Concrete Driveway Base needed?

Hi everyone, I posted on here before, buts its been awhile. Anyway, we have a contractor who is widening our driveway. Today he dug the hole and put down rebar which he tied into the existing driveway and sidewalk. He only dug down 4" and doesn't appear to be planning on using any sort of base. Our home is in Kansas and the dirt is very firm and contains a decent amount of clay. Is not using a base ok?

Thanks,

Last edited by Bcoleman6; 06-03-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Bcoleman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 06:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 392

Sounds like it's a little too late to be asking these questions. If the existing driveway is the same thickness and on top of the same type of base, I say go with it.
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 06:23 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks. I didnít ask the question because I was working under the assumption that you always used a gravel or sand base. If it is OK to pour directly on the dirt, then I will go back to believing the contractor knows what he is doing.
Bcoleman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 392

Slab on grade is pretty much typical in a lot of places. If you're existing sidewalk/drive were done that way, there's no real benefit of changing anything unless you'll be loading the extended part more. However, 4" is on the thin side for a driveway. I wouldn't let heavy trucks on it.
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 518

Sounds awefully "hokie" to me. Definately not sound or standard practice in these parts, at least in the last 40 or 50 years. There was I mindset in older tradesman many years ago that undisturbed soil was somehow as good, or better, a base than gravel. Luckily, that has died out, as it isn't the case. To be completely honest, the worst concrete work that I tear-out to replace is sitting on little to no gravel.

Something tells me this "contractor" is cutting corners & doesn't want ot do any additional hand digging, much less install a little gravel.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 05:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,622

not to harshly disagree w/my mentor, jomama, however we do bld roads over heah w/o compacted granilar base,,, no, they're not i-states but city/county roads're still paved over sand/clay base according to specs.

our worst conc's due to too much wtr, improper jointing practices, or just a ' who gives a f ? ' attitude amongst finishers
stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 11:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

I poured mine over dirt and have not had problems for four years now.

4" is way to thin for a driveway. 4" is a sidewalk. 5" is still thin, 6"+ is prefered. The cost differance in concrete is minor.
posylane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #8
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 518

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
not to harshly disagree w/my mentor, jomama, however we do bld roads over heah w/o compacted granilar base,,, no, they're not i-states but city/county roads're still paved over sand/clay base according to specs.

Our winters here are probably the difference in that approach.

BTW, I welcome disagreement....... Anything I post here is merely dependant on my own personal/professional experience, which can vary greatly depending on location & the scope of work.

our worst conc's due to too much wtr, improper jointing practices, or just a ' who gives a f ? ' attitude amongst finishers

I should say that I'm referring to the "worst of the worst" on old concrete, not new concrete that may be blemished. The "worst" concrete I see is generally 10+ years old & usually creates some sort of saftey risk. Like the driveway that's destroyed rom normal light vehicle traffic, 3" lower than the garage floor, & looks like a jackhammer was used years ago in anticipation o fa tear-out, yet mysteriously the driveway still remains in place.

I agree with your sentiments on the rest though. Just yesterday I replaced one driveway square on a job we installed last fall that had cracked over winter. Even though I believe it's mostly the customers fault it randomly cracked, due to the fact that he never backfilled it with soil, allowing water to collect directly under the slab for winter frost season, I don't think that it's acceptable for the HO to live with even a minor, hairline crack on a new driveway.

It's generally these small things I go out of my way to take care of that pay large dividends in the long term. I like to call our "re-work" budget our "advertising/marketing" budget.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement